1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

HOW? do you play video with the screen off - or with player in background

Last Updated:

1. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my Eris BUT it is inferior in one critical area (too me) - I like to use my player t"watch" VIDEO podcasts or tivo'd news shows. Much of the time, I do not need to actually see the video (just want to hear it). So is their a video app that will let me play the video and turn the screen off and/or play video while I use the device to do other tasks. Seems like a simple feature but I cant find it anywhere for the Android.

Anyone have an insight

Advertisement
  2. acipollo

acipollo Well-Known Member

You don't. :)

J/K

Seriously, I don't think you can.

3. falltime

Really? Thats a pretty glaring weakness IMHO - even the non-multitasking Ipod Touch/iPhone can do this.

4. jahsh

jahsh Active Member

Yeah, I asked a similar question in hopes that i could let steaming video load while doing other things - my question was answered.

I'm with you, seems easy enough and something I'd love to be able to do.

5. falltime

Love the phone and am very excited about the possibilities that Android offers (as an open platform) - but I cant beleive this hasnt been addressed yet, given that one of Androids biggest advantage over iphone is its multi-tasking ability.
    Clearly you and I cant be the only people who would want to momentarily browse the internet or turn-off the screen while keeping a video playing.
    I hope someone writes an app with this feature soon, otherwise I have to lug around my itouch in addition to the phone - which is not what I had hoped for (wanted to be done with Apple for good)

6. RJ McKenzie

RJ McKenzie Member

There is an application in the Market which I have been using called No Video Player. Works great for playing videos without the screen on.

RJ McKenzie
    @rjmcke

tt531 likes this.
  7. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member

resurrecting this thread... i'm trying to watch lectures (in MP4) which is no problem to watch on my phone.

only issue is that i'd like to be able to switch between applications while the video plays in the background. i couldn't find the "No Video Player" suggested by the above poster...

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

8. rubrnek

rubrnek New Member

i have found a player that will do this. its called "asti media player"

when playing the video you can hit the home button and the video's audio track will play in the background, or you can lock the screen and the audio will continue to play.

hope this helps!
    paul

randalusa and Zenchu like this.
  9. Pep

Pep Well-Known Member

10. edop84

edop84 Member

11. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I use super video, it's like pop-up player on the SG3.

12. randalusa

randalusa New Member

Yay. Been searching on and off for a couple days both on the Play Store and using online searching with Bing and Google to find a video player that will keep spooling the audio after the screen is shut off. An app called No Video Player had been working okay enough for the last year until I changed phones this week. While I can still install No Video Player, it simply does nothing when attempting to play a video. Asti Media Player DOES. Never heard of this product elsewhere. So I am grateful that it could be found down in the middle of a thread and going kind of unnoticed.

13. Ay Rue

Ay Rue New Member