• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Do You Prevent Android Robot Spam?

Frequently, I go onto my desktop only to find little green "Android Robot" logo icons (see attached eg.) that I didn't place there. If I click the Robot, I'm taken to the Google Play Store where I'm offered a new app by the vendor responsible for the Robot.

How can I block these Android Robots from appearing on my desktop?

Can you provide some more Info. What type of phone?
What software version on the phone? What kinda software did you install?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Can you provide some more Info. What type of phone?
What software version on the phone? What kinda software did you install?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Hi Mikessv,
Thank you for your response to my question. Since this is a Galaxy Note II Forum, that's what kind of phone I have. My carrier is Verizon. I have NOT unlocked the device. I'm running the Jelly Bean (v.4.1.2) OS.

I just tried running Addons Detector per Hadron's advice. The only application that was using Push Notifications was a Downloader that appeared different than what came with the OS. So I uninstalled it. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Install Addons Detector, run a scan and see whether you have any apps which use "push notifications". If you have, uninstall them.

Push advertising is capable of doing this type of thing (placing shortcuts on your desktop). Why Google allow it is beyond me.
Thank you for your advice, Hadron.

I just tried running Addons Detector as you suggested. The only application that was using Push Notifications was a Downloader that appeared different than what came with the OS. So I uninstalled it.

Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones