1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How do you remove the Google search bar?Support

1. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member

Seriously annoyed at that search bar that's on every screen other than that I'm loving this baby!!!

Can anyone tell me how to remove it? Can't seem to find that in the settings

Advertisement
    :
  2. DEng66

DEng66 Well-Known Member

As far as I know you can't remove it (at least not without rooting). That search bar is a "feature" of Ice Cream Sandwich.
  3. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member

That feature is annoying as hell lol

Edit: figured it out ironically enough by using the Google search bar, but anyways go into apps and click disable on Google search
    jroc likes this.
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

ORD84 likes this.
  5. recDNA

recDNA Well-Known Member

I wish the settings screen on the left of home screen was pull down I could use on an alternate browser.
  6. never-enough

never-enough Active Member

Is there also a way to move the widgets/icons up once the Google search bar is removed? Now the blank space up there is annoying lol
  7. hansangb

hansangb Well-Known Member

I installed Nova Launcher to remove the google toolbar from ever page. And with Nova, you can move up your apps etc. to the top of the screen.

BTW, as an FYI to others, Nova does *not* turn the google search back to transparent. It may be a bug, but setting it to ICS style-transparent doesn't do the trick.
  8. PathToEternity

PathToEternity Well-Known Member

Yeah, getting a launcher addressed all this for me.
  9. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 Member

Just wanted to say that if you do this, you will receive an error message when trying to use the voice search feature in Navigation and you won't be able to use it. FYI.
  10. notbitter

notbitter Member

I was having the same problem with Nova. You have to select the widget called "Quick Search Bar" instead of "Google Search." Then you can toggle between the ICS clear search bar and the Jelly Bean version.
  11. hansangb

Perfect! Thanks for that.
  12. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member

I don't use Google now found it actually kinda useless as it never actually gave me the commute that I like to take home just the shortest route...so I disabled the toolbar by disabling Google search in the apps
  13. hansangb

If you use GMAIL, it's actually pretty useful. For example, it understands the Amazon/etc. emails with UPS or Fedex tracking numbers and offers to show it to you. The sports scores are nice as well.
  14. recDNA

recDNA Well-Known Member

When I did that I lost all voice to text capabilities?
  15. tnstra

tnstra Well-Known Member

I don't remember what I did on JB but I think I just dropped it on the Trash can. I didn't disable anything and it's not there