How Do you remove voicemail from favorites?

Last Updated:

1. Hithero

Hithero Member This Topic's Starter

So I've upgraded now to 2.1 at long last (Thanks for the wait Orange), now starting the task of styling the layout, But one thing that is bugging me, is my favorites widget displays Voicemail as a quick link. I want to see the happy smiling faces of my contacts first not the ugly represetation of a tape and a letter.
    Does anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried going into people and editing the group, but its not listed in there.

Advertisement
  2. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Well-Known Member

i need to know this too! hope someone can help

3. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac Member

I need to know this too but I fear I may have had an accident...

I decided to delete my favourties widget.... and now I can't find it!
    oh noes! :eek:(

4. ToeCutter

ToeCutter Active Member

Just add the people widget and select the 'favourites' group.

5. drunken_prozac

drunken_prozac Member

oh yeah, thanks... that damned voicemail is still there!

6. ToeCutter

ToeCutter Active Member

I know. It wouldn't be so bad if you could order them alphabetically. Then it would be at the bottom, at least.

7. HappyHipster

HappyHipster Member

I would love to find the answer to this.

8. samktc

samktc Member

Seriously, why would I want "Voicemail" as my favourite? And right at the top!! [​IMG]

The worst thing is that it's on every People widget...

9. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Same here, totally ****** up...

10. mattdanielc

It must just be an Orange thing - this is what took them so long....figuring out how to make it so we couldn't delete it....

Gonna remove this app I think sadly coz it looks stupid now :(

11. jmfryer1978

jmfryer1978 Active Member

I think it may be related to the fact that Orange always add's Voicemail to speed-dial 1. The favourites also seems to show speed-dials as well, unfortunately I can't find a way to remove it from speed dial!

I've taken the people widget off now because of this too!

12. Deech

Deech Active Member

how can they be so ******ed, 2 month delay in delivery just so they can force you to have a voicemail button in People Widget....there is a name for people like that!

13. ToeCutter

ToeCutter Active Member

I think that there's a little more to it than that. For my part, I am content to live with it. It's not even an annoyance for me - I get a lot of voicemail since I am usually in meetings or on the road. With 1.5, I would see a notification that I could tap to call voicemail but now there's an entry in the people widget. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over, to be honest.

14. Deech

Deech Active Member

while that might be true, it should be OUR CHOICE what is in the widget not have it thrust upon us by Lemon, I wouldnt mind if I could change the icon :)

It's the little things that let them down, it took long enought o get the update and when it arrives they knobled it like this, why? I'm a big boy now I can add voicemail to my people widget if I so please :)

Oh hum, never mind :)

15. Hithero

Hithero Member This Topic's Starter

With you on that one Deech, if I wanted to have my layout dictated to me I would have got an iPhone. This is the thing that really bugs me about Orange, they take a product that has a selling point of being able to set it up as you want, and then they lock it up.

16. eagleworks

eagleworks New Member

It's not even a decent icon, it looks like one from about 2004 its so low res.

17. HappyHipster

HappyHipster Member

Whilst I don't have a way of getting rid of this, I have found an alternative.

You can add shortcuts to actions such as calling a contact.

Under the 'add widget' or 'add program' there is also an 'add shortcut' option. You can use the 'Direct Dial' shortcuts to replace the 'favourite people' widget.

It's not exactly fixing the problem, but it is a simple alternative that I actually think looks a lot 'cleaner'.

HH:D

Deech and Hithero like this.
  18. mattdanielc

Hipster - thanks for the suggestion. imo I don't think it does look cleaner - it makes the shortcuts look just like apps where as I preferred the widget.

Even so...the widget is gone... I'll just have to cope without :(

19. Deech

Deech Active Member

I haved asked a friend to look inot codeing a new "people widget" identical to the stock htc one but without the lame hard coded answerphone.....I'll let you know if / when we get anywhere, he needs the practice ;)

20. mattdanielc

If he does get indeed get anywhere... ask him to spell it 'favourites' rather than 'favorites' ;)

redmelons likes this.
  21. Deech

Deech Active Member

how about I ask him to let us name it ourselves with any spelling we like :D

22. Deech

Deech Active Member

here's a thought......

Any coders out there who can pull the people widget out of a stock 2.1 rom and then it "ought" to be possible to install it over the top of the orange one minus the hardcoded answer phone number.

Anyone please?

23. HappyHipster

HappyHipster Member

I guess it's all down to personal choice. I hope you find a solution for yourself, along with many others who I'm sure want the voicemail gone. For now I'm happy to stick with these shorcuts until something else becomes appealing.

HH:D

24. Simply Applied

Simply Applied Active Member

I don't know how to get rid of Voicemail; however, a few people have mentioned not using the People widget/using direct dial icons. If you're looking for an alternative speed dial app, our app Sign (and Sign Lite) are gesture-based speed dial apps that let you assign a single or multi-stroke gesture to any contact so you can easily call or text them. It works right from the homescreen.

More Info

25. Beauborg

Beauborg Active Member

You can fit 16 contacts on a screen using this method as well, whereas the people widget only allows 9 to be seen at once, and even then parts are cut off.

The advantage of the people widget is that you can scoll down and view many more contacts, though.