• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you root a PendoPad 4.0 PP4MT-7?

however now I can not turn wi-fi on, on either of them.

It looks like there might be a different set of hardware going around in the latest Pendo Pads. I bought 2 earlier in the year and flashed them with Stylez image (thanks for saving me a bunch of work :)) and everything worked fine.

But I just bought another one last week, tried flashing it with the same image and now WiFi doesn't work either. The stock ROM has the same problem.

I think you can identify the new hardware by the 1Mobile sticker on the front of the box, beside the GetJar sticker. This is the first one I have seen with the different box, and the first one that has failed.

If anyone has a stock image for this model, could you please upload it so I can see if it fixes the problem?

Upvote 0
Here are a few more details (I don't have much experience with Android devices, so some of this might not make sense).

Before I flashed the Pendo with Stylez image, I backed up the nands (A to I) using:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/nanda | gzip > /data/local/tmp/nanda-backup.dd.gz
But after I flashed it, when I try to restore the nands again, E and H say there is no space left on the device, and I throws a Segmentation Fault. It looks like when I flashed it, the partitions were resized. Does that sound likely?

If anyone can create an image from the nand dumps, I can upload them?

Also, if anyone wants to buy another 7" Pendo, Harvey Norman has them for $88.

Upvote 0
Bionics,
I have yet to resolve the wi-fi issue with mine as well. I've given up on it for now, thats interesting to hear what you have found. There is definately something going on with these devices that does not like Stylez image.

Hi guys, same issue here; Flashed the LiveSuit_PP4MT-7_ROOT_CWMR_GAPPS_REGPON.img which seemed to be fine (the work that has gone into all this is astounding) however it appears Pendopad PP4MT-7's manufactured at different times contained different Wi-Fi modules (shop.pendo.com.au/index.php/support/downloads/pendo-pad-firmware.html which refers to Android 2.1 Firmwares).

It looks like there might be a different set of hardware going around in the latest Pendo Pads. I bought 2 earlier in the year and flashed them with Stylez image (thanks for saving me a bunch of work :)) and everything worked fine.

But I just bought another one last week, tried flashing it with the same image and now WiFi doesn't work either. The stock ROM has the same problem.

I think you can identify the new hardware by the 1Mobile sticker on the front of the box, beside the GetJar sticker. This is the first one I have seen with the different box, and the first one that has failed.

If anyone has a stock image for this model, could you please upload it so I can see if it fixes the problem?

Sounds familiar; My PP4MT-7 was purchased in the last few weeks so whatever new Wi-Fi module was used definitely differs from the one in styelz's image.

Is it at all possible to 'inject' the newest Wi-Fi driver into styelz's image if we can obtain a Nandroid backup of the latest revision??

Upvote 0
You may be able to identify which hardware will work with Stylez image by the serial number.

I have 1 with serial number starting with 70281**** that works with the image.
1 with serial number 70284**** that has broken WiFi
and 1 with serial number 70282**** that I haven't tried flashing.

The Nands from 70282 didn't fix the WiFi for the 70284, so they must be different. But I don't know if the WiFi modules are the same in the 70281 and 70282 yet.

If anyone can dump the Nands from a 70284**** version Pendo, I can try creating an image and see if it will get the WiFi working again for anyone having problems.

I can post the steps to extract the nands if you need help.

Reactions: jellow and Atma
Upvote 0
Hi jellow, That would be great if you could upload the backups. Hopefully I can get them to work. As long as you have adb up and running, the commands you should need are:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/nanda | gzip > /sdcard/nanda-backup.dd.gz
dd if=/dev/block/nandc | gzip > /sdcard/nandc-backup.dd.gz
dd if=/dev/block/nandd | gzip > /sdcard/nandd-backup.dd.gz
dd if=/dev/block/nandg | gzip > /sdcard/nandg-backup.dd.gz
This should create the 4 gz files on /sdcard (The internal storage of the Pendo). If you could please upload them somewhere, I will download them and see if I can put them together in an image to get WiFi up and running again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for uploading them jellow. I will give them a go tonight (as I am at work now). I am pretty sure I will need nandD as well, as it is the system partition and should contain the firmware and drivers for the hardware modules.

As for any personal information. It should be stored on the /data partion (nandE), but I will check for any other information that may have been carried over before releasing any images.

Reactions: jellow
Upvote 0
It works!

I now have WiFi working on my 70284 model Pendo. Thanks heaps for your help jellow. I am still not sure what the differences are between the models, but I will see what I can find when I do some more searching.

I am having some problems building a flashable ROM (which is annoying as I have built a few successfully in the past), but I will have another go at it when I get some more time.

Until then, you should be able to get one of these Pendos with broken WiFi working again by following these steps:
1. Backup any important information and settings, just in case.

2. Copy the 4 nand backups (a, c, d, g) to the internal sdcard.

3. Run the following commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
busybox zcat /sdcard/nanda-backup.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/block/nanda
busybox zcat /sdcard/nandc-backup.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/block/nandc
busybox zcat /sdcard/nandd-backup.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/block/nandd
busybox zcat /sdcard/nandg-backup.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/block/nandg
exit
adb reboot
You may need to root the pendo again using Unlockroot, if you want full access again.

I have had a look through all the areas I can think of and haven't been able to find any personal information. This should all be stored on the /data partition, so I am pretty confident it is clean.
But I will leave it up to jellow to post the links to the nand backups.

Thanks again jellow, and if anyone has any problems getting it to work, let me know and I will see if I can help.

Now back to downloading a few games :)

Upvote 0
Damn these variations of the same tablet causing grief.

Just for records sake my PPMT4 7inch has the barcode 70283 and it worked with Stylez's rom.

On a side note, I'm now using CM9 on my Pendo which was an unofficial port for the Coby Kyros 7042 which also has a few versions.

After downloading the rom there is also a multi-version bootloader for download which solves the different model issues (there are 3 different models of Coby Kyros catered for I think).

Anyways I'm not sure if there is something in that which helps or this rom may be worth a shot for people having compatibility issues.

Furthermore I'm loving CM9 for my Pendo. Flawless market compatibility, google voice search works, comes with Apex interface which compliments nicely, runs very smooth for the most part.

The only think that didn't work was the rear camera (front works). My tab is in a case with no rear window anyways so it was no loss to me. Also they are pretty crap cameras anyhows.

Upvote 0
OK....previous posts show......... MANY MANY files to download.... Missing links, TRY THIS...TRY THAT..... = confusion... CAN SOMEONE please paste an UPDATED "HOW TO" and necessary files needed to make my PENDO 4.0 7" into a useful device that WIFI will work on after reflashing with a GOOD TRUE android OS please... Really appreciated in ANTICIPATION!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones