• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you run your "Evo demo" when showing it to people?

Posted this in another thread....but it is my usual demo.....

"Last night at the bar was very intriguing....guy notice how big my phone was and asked what it was. Noticed he had an iPhone and then even compared the two side by side(I kinda laughed cause he had an infamous cracked screen).

So my friend tells me to do to him what I did to my friend that makes him want to leave Tmo and get an EVO.

So i do my new routine that ive been doing to everyone now.....I fire up Videos, pull up Book of Eli (720p) and let him start watching it in his hands.

First he notices how well the big screen shows the movie...and mentions that the iPhone 4 should be able to do that......then here comes the kicker......

All I say to him is "will your iPhone 4 do this?"....while he is watching the movie, I unnoticingly pull the kickstand out and plop it on top of the bar. Dude ended up having a double take, couldnt believe what just happened.

Might not have sold him on getting an EVO, but definitely showed him that there is a new king of smartphones in town."

Upvote 0
last night i put on my 4g and set it up as wifi hotspot, but they refused bc they were all apple fanoys...showed them video chat and had to break their little hearts when i told them iphone was only over ifi...also showed some swype type texting apps....flash....oh yea and 4 of my apps that download free mp3's...they had no comeback for that one....but some were a lot more partial to it...mission complete

Reactions: gowcaizer1978
Upvote 0
This thread reminded me of something - There's "Scenes" built in - it's like saved settings. It's accessible under Settings > Personalize > Scenes.

From here, you can save your current UI setup - everything from backgrounds, widgets, and apps on your home screens. I then made a new setup named "Demo" - put on all the slick features I usually don't use - live background, animated weather widget, etc.

Now if I want to Demo the Evo, I can just pull up that Scene, go through the cool features, then when I'm done, pull up my everyday use saved Scene. That, also, would add to the demo. ;)

edit: by having a demo scene saved, you can also make it clean and show how easy it is to add widgets to a blank screen as part of the demo.

Upvote 0
Whenever I show it off to people the screen does all the work. When they get a look of that screen they start to think their phone's screen is shrinking in their hands. I also always put on the water live wallpaper and then show them how it reacts to your touches. If their not drooling yet I act like I need to send a text and show them Swype or turn on mobile hotspot so I can use my laptop to download something. I find that gimmicky stuff that i'll probably only use once or twice a month is what always amazes people, like the dice widget or coin flip widget from HTC. The only person that I showed it to that wasn't amazed was a kid I know that only likes it if Steve Jobs says he can or starts with "i" or "mac".

Upvote 0
All I did was hand my EVO to my two gay buddies(trust me this is important lol)...I showed them the 3g goodness and told them about the potential of 4g, we're in NY...put them on to the Live wallpaper, but the magic didn't happen until I flipped on the cam. They marveled at the crispness of the back camera, but when I switched to the front, they both was like "WOOOOOOOOOOORRRK!!! YAAAAAAS GURRRRL!!!"
All I could do was stand back and watch the joy!!!

I now have a bunch of awesome pics of two handsome guys on my EVO:D

Upvote 0
all i did was hand my evo to my two gay buddies(trust me this is important lol)...i showed them the 3g goodness and told them about the potential of 4g, we're in ny...put them on to the live wallpaper, but the magic didn't happen until i flipped on the cam. They marveled at the crispness of the back camera, but when i switched to the front, they both was like "wooooooooooorrrk!!! Yaaaaaas gurrrrl!!!"
all i could do was stand back and watch the joy!!!

I now have a bunch of awesome pics of two handsome guys on my evo:d

lool

Upvote 0
This thread reminded me of something - There's "Scenes" built in - it's like saved settings. It's accessible under Settings > Personalize > Scenes.

From here, you can save your current UI setup - everything from backgrounds, widgets, and apps on your home screens. I then made a new setup named "Demo" - put on all the slick features I usually don't use - live background, animated weather widget, etc.

Now if I want to Demo the Evo, I can just pull up that Scene, go through the cool features, then when I'm done, pull up my everyday use saved Scene. That, also, would add to the demo. ;)

edit: by having a demo scene saved, you can also make it clean and show how easy it is to add widgets to a blank screen as part of the demo.

this is a good idea. i was thinking of using FolderOrganizer to make a folder for stuff to demo, but making a scene would take it to another level

Upvote 0
Sprint TV - then its a matter of what channel and show to stream. The Office on NBC is always a good one and for the kids Phineas and Ferb on Disney. Something about watching a T.V. show versus a converted DVD on a cell phone is an eyeball catcher. Hurry up and with 2.2 so we can watch Hulu.

Upvote 0
Sprint TV - then its a matter of what channel and show to stream. The Office on NBC is always a good one and for the kids Phineas and Ferb on Disney. Something about watching a T.V. show versus a converted DVD on a cell phone is an eyeball catcher. Hurry up and with 2.2 so we can watch Hulu.

i need to get a movie on mine. There was a great thread a while back about people using handbrake to rip movies in preparation for EVO I should dig up.

Upvote 0
All I did was hand my EVO to my two gay buddies(trust me this is important lol)...I showed them the 3g goodness and told them about the potential of 4g, we're in NY...put them on to the Live wallpaper, but the magic didn't happen until I flipped on the cam. They marveled at the crispness of the back camera, but when I switched to the front, they both was like "WOOOOOOOOOOORRRK!!! YAAAAAAS GURRRRL!!!"
All I could do was stand back and watch the joy!!!

I now have a bunch of awesome pics of two handsome guys on my EVO:D

This made me smile. Gays always have the best taste. Love em lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
The first thing they notice is the size. It's HUGE! There are usually a few swear words included. Then it's on to the speed of the 3G. I live in an area that is probably not going to see 4G before I trade in this phone, but the 3G is still extremely fast!

The live backgrounds is a big draw as well as showing off a video or two. Giving a quick demo of the two cameras and how well they take pictures. Then whipping out my "squeaky grandma" kickstand all while telling them how cheap I'm getting 4 lines for and that usually seals the deal. (One guy told me he is paying $180 for ONE line to AT&T.. I pay that for four.)

Being a girl tech geek is hard.. but when you give the guys phone envy too... it makes me giggle with glee!

Upvote 0
OK, guys. A friend of mine is coming over later today. For the last year, I've had to hear about his damn iPhone while I had my ancient dumbphone.
He has heard my anti-Apple tirades before... and I've preached the merits of Android (all hypothetical because I didn't have android until just recently).

Tonight, it's on. I know what I want to show him, but I'm looking for other good ideas. Some things off the top of my head...

• Widgets
  • Customization
  • Google Voice
  • Swype
  • Notifications (Gmail, etc)
  • The kickstand
  • YouTube HQ on the big screen
  • Tethering

What did I miss?

BTW: This is just in good fun... but I'm going to do my damndest to make him jealous ;-)

Upvote 0
It's super easy.

1. Add Fring, setup a Skype account if you don't already have one, put on the kickstand and show him that you can videochat without a private transport and without wifi.

2. Get Google Translations, play with it and get the google voice/speak add-on thingy - then speak a phrase into it and listen to the same phrase spoken in a foreign language.

3. Visit a flash heavy website - like, Pingo Studios - and go to the Gallery Samples, show the slide show. I built that site using iWeb, and not even iPhone users can get to the sound feature, last I checked - but you can.

More interpersonal use, a fuller web experience - that should just about do it.

My boss, a longtime iPhone user, was jealous at step 1. By step 3, he started considering that the company should standardize on Evos.

My 2 cents - because it's always fun to tug a buddy's ears - after all, that's what they're for. ;)

Reactions: phobic
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones