how do you ruu?

Last Updated:

1. huffman6977

huffman6977 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i did the ota, but i want to try to root. i heard that i have to get .5 i found the link but what do i need to do once i download it?

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

You make sure you have sync installed on your PC and that it installs the correct drivers then you run the RUU program with the phone plugged in via USB.

3. kellysa111

kellysa111 Well-Known Member

Whenever I try starting the RUU, I get this ( sorry in advanced for the HUGE picture. I still haven't gotten used to the adding spoiler tags.
    Edit: Deleted the picture cuz I already figured it out.

4. Joehunni

Lol good job.

5. mdhall41

mdhall41 Member

I have the same question... I am not new to computers, programming, etc., but I haven't done much in a LONG time and this is my first smartphone ever.

what is "sync" and where do I get it?

Also, I understand I will loose everything when I go from .6 to .5... basically I will have an out of the box hero with the .5 update, correct?

PS - sorry I'm an idiot... just don't want to screw anything up, and want to make sure I know exactly what I am doing before rooting and flashing a ROM.

6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

get sync here http://member.america.htc.com/download/Driver/HTC Hero (Sprint)/HTC_Sync_2.0.40.exe

then follow these directions

1. Download the RUU ROM Update Utility and save it to your computer desktop
    2. Double click the .exe file and click Run in Windows XP or Yes in Windows 7
    3. On the Welcome Screen, be sure to read the caution message and Read Me file; check the box next to I understand and click Next
    4. On the next screen, follow the steps listed and click Next
    5. You will see the message Verifying information on your Android phone. Please wait

mdhall41 likes this.
  7. Joehunni

If you have windows 7 look for Sync version 2.0.33, and yes, you will lose everything on the phone but not the sd card.

mdhall41 likes this.