How do you stop a Motorola app from turning on?Support

Last Updated:

1. redgtconv

redgtconv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

One very frustrating thing for me is having to constantly turn off Motorola apps that I do not want. For example I replaced their weather widget with the Weather channel, and I also replaced their news feed widget. I then went into Running Apps and turned off those apps. However, several times per day when I go to Running Apps, I find that they have turned themselves back on. This is getting very annoying to constantly have to turn them off. I don't want extra apps running in the background. Does this mean that I am stuck using the Motorola apps? If you go to "Manage Apps" it will only let you uninstall apps that you have installed.

Advertisement
  2. cagey77

cagey77 Active Member

I have the same problems. I have all sorts of apps that I didn't launch running in the background. It sucks and its killing my battery i think.

3. sanjeeva7

sanjeeva7 Well-Known Member

Rooting your phone is the only way to remove the crapware.

4. redgtconv

Ok, so then you are telling me that I am stuck using their weather and news feed widgets and I have to uninstall the ones I added in order to not have duplicate apps running. That truly stinks! Now I made the mistake of trying the Motorola Sticky Note widget because I read a reviewer say they really liked it. Well i didn't, so I removed it. But now that damn app keeps turning itself on too.

5. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

The root is out for the Droid X, and it is not hard to do. Check the root sub-forum:

All Things Root (Droid X) - Android Forums

Once rooted, you can use the Titanium Backup to easily uninstall the unwanted Motorola. Just be sure to check the "what's safe to uninstall" threads over there, and definitely don't remove backup assistant.

6. sanjeeva7

I'm a noob to Android devices but as far as I know yes you are stuck. It's the reason I am going to root my device and the same reason the first thing I do with a new pc is to format the hard drive and reload the OS myself.

7. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Just because there's memory allocated to a Moto app doesn't mean it's actually running and consuming any CPU cycles.

It's just cached there so if you do decide to use it, it'll launch faster.

If you open other apps and run low on memory, those dormant Moto apps will get kicked out of your RAM.

Android is just efficiently using all the resources given to it.

8. sanjeeva7

So does that mean it's like when a pc puts items in your startup so it will launch quicker? ie Adobe

9. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

It's quite similar, but Windows doesn't have the ability to kill any given app to free memory like Android. Nevertheless, I still don't like all that crap loading up. Maybe it's the OCD kicking in.

10. redgtconv

Then why does it say the app is running in the Running
    Apps section?

11. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Running apps or running services?

Here's an interesting read, if you really want to get into the nitty gritty:

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

If it's not really hurting your performance, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you really want to get rid of it though, that requires root.

12. redgtconv

Running services.what's the difference?

13. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

Services can be used by multiple apps. But actual running apps would be consuming your memory and cpu cycles. Since only that service is running in the background, it allows any app to take advantage of it should it be needed.

14. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

Windows doesn't need to kill an app as it has the benefit of a swap file. Either way effectively accomplishes the same thing.

15. Ubermother

Ubermother Well-Known Member

Will the ability to completely remove apps including crapware be resolved with froyo?

16. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was trying to get across.