• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you switch to a new SIM card?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading my S4 to an S7 and it looks like the S7 uses a different type of SIM card, so I should be getting a new one with the phone.

How does this work with my existing phone and SIM card? Will it stop working? Do I need to do something to stop it so it won't be like I have two lines on my account?

I'm new to SIM stuff so I don't know how to move from my current one to a new one.

Thanks!

So your current SIM is micro sized? If T-Mobile are supplying the phone, they should should supply a suitable new SIM for it, nano size. Your existing SIM will go dead and be deactivated usually, on a single phone account.

Yes, I believe I have micro, and the S7 uses nano. The product page says it comes with a SIM starter kit.

So when I order it, I will enter my T-Mobile information so the new card will be tied to my account?

If the current card is deactivated, when does that happen? Obviously I will still need it until the new phone arrives.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones