How do you tell if your phone has been "hacked"?

Last Updated:

1. fishes077

fishes077 New Member

I have a tmobile (samsung) 4g sidekick. Last night I went to bed with my phone on full battery, this morning I woke up a half hour early and watched my phone turn itself off, and then back on again. The alarm went off a half hour later, when I stopped the alarm I noticed that it had somehow been drained of more than half a battery charge. This is after I begin getting strange text messages from a girl who has been harassing and stalking me. She stopped several months ago, but started up yesterday. The strange part is that she has somehow managed to get past the app call control which has always worked well for me. The messages are incomplete, cryptic, and simply don't make any sense, and I wonder if she is up to something (she has a friend who is familiar with cracking/hacking). This phone has been reasonably good to me. It's never turned itself off, had problems with the screen exc. Although the device is drowned by bloat ware it gets the job done. If I run the phone in safe mode, will that help me to deter any possible foul play? Is it possible that the phone company did this, or that it was caused by the phone itself? I am running "advanced task killer", would any malicious programs show up on the list? I will gladly appreciate any tips or tricks that could help me get to the bottom of this!

Advertisement
  2. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

I'll try to take this story as seriously as I possibly can.....

Android doesn't work like windows. They have to have possession of your phone to do anything to it.

If you're worried enough about it to go to these lengths, wipe your data. That will clear anything "wrong" with it.
  3. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

fishes077 likes this.
  4. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

As said, unless she crept into your house and physcially took your phone there is no way it got hacked. If you are really worried perform a factory reset and block her number again.
    fishes077 likes this.
  5. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member

So your phone restarted. So What? Something somewhere likely crashed or your battery could likely be degrading or becoming faulty. There is a limited number of charge cycles after all. Also, don't be using a task killer to stop processes you don't understand. That alone could cause random restarts.

Android can be hacked like every other operating system. Requiring root for system commands is one way Linux protects against unauthorized use. Of course this isn't perfect and on a the rare occasion a virus or hacker gets around that.

If one was to gain access to root or your user account there would be far more nastier things to be done than just rebooting. One would need a firm understanding of the Linux kernel and Android to even attempt hacking in. This isn't something a person can easily Google and learn so they can mess with their buddies.

The best thing you can do is wipe data/factory reset and start over. And only open and install from trusted sources.
    fishes077 likes this.
  6. +1 to wipe factory settings, i am sure an app you installed makes all that mess

The only think you should be worried is the links you click on and files you open from unknown senders. If you are careful with the use of your phone, then you have nothing to worry about.

Wipe factory reset, install only famous apps and update your phone to the last available version so as to be ok. And forget that girl, the technology can help you get rid of her. What app are you using to filter?