how do you use this thing!?Support

Last Updated:

1. Kasey83

Kasey83 New Member This Topic's Starter

Good morning wise droid users. I just got my x after 4years of blackberry storm usage. I have iphone envy so i was so pumped. To get this phone but today I feel very dumb. I have been up most of the night trying to find ways to marry my old BB habits to this new guy. Honestly i feel like my brain is going to explode. I love the possiblities of thos phone butdue to myjob I will be relying on this guy alot for quick response. I Will list my quesrions and hope you all can helpme. Thank you so much in advance :)

Also i apologize for the spelling errors. This thing isnt understanding me.

1) Mispelling when i would write a text or email and i would underline the incorrect wordandthen give suggestions on what maybe my dumb self trying to type.

2) on the blackberry you can capitalizea letter in the middle of a sentance by holding that letterfor a second. Example for" I", any way i can just hold it for a second and capitalize it?

3) email. SIGH where do i begin? Ok i have 7 differnt gmail accounts (4 of them are work only!) On my bb i was able to designate a different tone for each email adress and i could also get my contacts to have seperate email ringtone and text tones. Is there a way to disignate the different tone for each email?

4) TEXT TONE VOLUME) My Ocd gets the best of me i realize. Wheni would pick certain people on my contacts for the different email phone and text tones but i could also select the volume at which each would play. (Having the gieco little piggly signal off at 4 am that loud this morning almost gave me a heart attack) anyhelp with tbat would be great.

5) copy and paste. I can even begin to figute that out

6) i used to have an app called" multi alarm pro" it was a great alarm clock that would play my selected ringtones in different volume and durations. I havent seen it for x. Any app that is close to that?

6)the squigily symbol. OK, you can make fun of me but i use the designation of the squigily symbol all of the time as partof a signature do to have to write emails for my boss. (Picture the accent that is on top of the a in"nina") its a cute little line that for me has a huge purpose. Icannot find it on the zymbols section of the keyboard.

Im sure i will have more questions but that is kind of the start. I am sorry for soynding so needy. Again i thank you.
    Have. A great day!

Advertisement
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

1. With the droid X mutlittouch keyboard it, if you are pelling a word, a list of words appear over the keyboard with suggestions for what you are trying to type. If you transpose a letter or two it can autocorrect it.

2. the letter I, if typed alone, should auto capitalize after you hit the spacebar. Also, like the shift key on a regular keyboard, you can press the "up arrow" on the left side of the keyboard to capitalize the first letter in things like names and states in the middle of a sentence.

3. I'm not sure why you would create 7 different gmail accounts when you can have one email and create labels inside gmail to filter emails from different people. You can set up different ringtones for different email applications, but not for individual email addresses. For example you can have one ringtone for the gmail app, and one for the android email app.

4. You can set notification, ringtone, media, and alarm volumes all seperately thru the menu. (alarm volume can be set by going into the alarm app and on the ringtone select screen, adjust the volume using the volume rocker)

5. When you want to select text to copy, long press on the area of text you want to copy and menu should pop up with the option to either select all or select text. then you just swype over the text you want to select and it copies it to the clipboard. when you want to paste it somewhere, you just long press where you want to paste it and select copy from clipboard.

6. Search alarm clock in the market and start trying them out, don't worry about paying for something you don't like, you can always unistall it within 24 hours and get a full refund.

7.On the droid keyboard if you are in abc mode, there should be a 123? button. select it. if its not there, press the button again for a set of alternate symbols. It should be there.

Hope this helps and welcome the forums!!

3. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

6)the squigily symbol. OK, you can make fun of me but i use the designation of the squigily symbol all of the time as partof a signature do to have to write emails for my boss. (Picture the accent that is on top of the a in"nina") its a cute little line that for me has a huge purpose. Icannot find it on the zymbols section of the keyboard.

For this you just need to hit the "123?" button and then the "ALT", you will get a new selection of keys including the ~

4. prhammer

prhammer New Member

This thread may be long since dead, but I was so happy to find the answer to this I thought I'd drop in an answer.

I have the standard Gmail app on my phone and I can set a different tone for each account. You open the gmail app and hit the menu button and select settings>Select Ringtone. Set the ringtone you want. Hit the back button to go back to the main view.

Now, change accounts (Menu>Accounts)

Repeat the procedure and select a different ringtone.

Repeat for each account and your done.

You can also set some to silent and add vibration to some.

Hope that is helpful.

Oh, by the way, the squiggly line is called a tilde.

-Ron

5. RDM

RDM Member

Alarm Clock PlusV2 & Alarm Clock Extrem, in the Market, are both real close to your BB appt.

6. cheena71

cheena71 New Member

#2 - I used to be able to capitalize a word by underlining it and hitting the arrow up key. That doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know where that setting is?

7. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

For the keyboard I'd high recommend setting it to Swype and make sure you do the tutorial!
    The rest will come with use. I switched from a BB Storm and had no problems adapting. After a year with the DX, someone handed me their BB to fix something and it took me a while to figure it out again.
    Stick with it, you will love it.
    To capitalize a word hold the capitalization key for a couple seconds(from lower-case setting) THEN type the word.