How does an iPod do Yahoo IMAP mail?Support

Last Updated:

1. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since it is only WiFi, has anyone figured out where it goes? It must be IMAP as it behaves that way and has no issues with wifi

Advertisement
  2. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

ipod? why did you post here?

3. amarryat

Because it works over WiFi. Incredible does not. I would like to know what the hidden settings are that allow it to do that so they could be used with the Incredible

4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

IMAP idle probably.

5. amarryat

I don't know if it does that, but I'd like to solve one problem at a time. If I could get my Incredible to work with IMAP Yahoo mail over wifi, I would be happy. Getting Idle to work would be a plus, but just being able to switch to wifi at home and still get my Yahoo email would be great.

The iPod Touch does it, and it is wifi only. So if someone has sniffed out where the iPod goes, maybe those settings would work for the Incredible as well.

6. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Well-Known Member

They use Apple dedicated mail servers and they probably identify the client as well. There will be no way to spoof it so don't even bother.

7. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

I had IMAP working in my HTC Touch Pro (running Windows Mobile 6.5). It work for both wifi and 3G on Verizon. I moved the same settings over to the Incredible and it no longer works. Only works on 3G. I think Yahoo caught on and want people to pay for the IMAP or Yahoo Plus.

8. amarryat

It's fine with me if you have to pay for it as I am already a subscriber. But for whatever reason, Yahoo IMAP mail works on an iPod Touch but not on the Incredible when on wifi. But as another poster said, Apple has some dedicated servers to handle this - makes sense as the iPod has a basic setup specific to Yahoo mail and there is no way to look at the underlying settings.

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

How to access Yahoo! Mail Plus using an email reader | Yahoo! Mail Classic Help

Incoming mail server settings
    • POP server: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
    • Use SSL
    • Port: 995
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP) settings
    • SMTP server: plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    • Use SSL
    • Port: 465
    • Use authentication
    • Account Name/Login Name: Your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com", for example, “testing80”)
    • Email Address: Your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, testing80@yahoo.com)
    • Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
    Troubleshooting tips
    If you still can’t send Yahoo! Mail from your mail program, you may be accessing the Internet through an ISP that is blocking the SMTP port. If this is the case, try setting the SMTP port number to 587 when sending email via Yahoo!'s SMTP server.
    Your email program gives you the option of either deleting your Yahoo! messages from the Yahoo! server after downloading them into your mail reader, or leaving them on the Yahoo! server so you can see them online in your Yahoo! account, too.

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I've set it up 3-4 times on my eris and incredible. This works with wifi on, but you must have a subscription to yahoo plus.

11. amarryat

Yes and I tried it that way too. Worked just fine. But I was hoping to gain the IMAP advantages, namely deleting an email on the Incredible and it is deleted from the server, or delete from the computer and it is removed from the Incredible.