How does AT&T's data plan work?

Last Updated:

1. garyHal

garyHal Member This Topic's Starter

So I was about to pick up a Captivate today until I spoke with the sales rep about my data plan. I am still using the 1st gen iPhone with the unlimited edge plan. He told me that there was no way for me to use the Captivate with the old plan unless I upgrade to the new ones.

I remember reading online awhile back that used the upgrade path from the 1st iPhone to any of the 3g iPhones, which makes it sound like he is BS'ing. I don't know if it still holds true for the Captivate though.

Any tips?

Advertisement
  2. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's BS. If you're on an unlimited smartphone data plan, you're grandfathered in.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

That AT&T rep just took your money. Your old iphone data plan should carry on to the captivate. IT'S UNLIMITED!!!!!!!

4. garyHal

He took nothing because I didn't switch yet.

He was telling me how once I activate the Captivate phone, the cell towers would automatically bump me up to 3g, which will then terminate my previous unlimited edge plan ($20).

5. garyHal

The more I research this, the more it looks like I have to bump up to the $30 plan.

6. bill.g

bill.g Well-Known Member

I moved from an iPhone to the captivate myself, those that were on the old iphone data plan can still have an unlimited data plan, mine just shows up as "Smartphone Personal" with unlimited data, though if I ever switch to another plan with a limit I can not change back.

Just make sure you are in a corporate at&t store and not a franchise store an apple store, a bestbuy or a walmart or some other place.

7. Miss Roxy

Miss Roxy Well-Known Member

The unlimited $30 dollar plan doesn't exist anymore.
    It's now:
    200mb for $15
    2gb for $25

8. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Call customer service. It is avail to upgrade to the $30 unlimited plan. You are on the old $20 that is considered a smartphone plan and is unlimited.

9. n7slc

n7slc Member

tsansuri is correct. If you had the $20 unlimited plan on the 1st gen iPhone, then you can keep the unlimited data on a new iPhone but they will bump you to the $30 a month price of the now forever gone unlimited plan.