• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does Google Device Manager get my location?

pstein

Apr 12, 2012
As you know it is possible through Google to locate my smartphone (and remote delete content) provided I have enabled the device manager.

Now assume I login to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
How does Google get the location information in detail?

Does it send a one-time request to my mobphone?
Or does Google a permanent tracking?

Is it required to have an active data connection through my mobil provider or is a WLAN-only based connection sufficient?

Peter

It sends a request to the phone whenever you initiate it through device manager. However if you have "location history" turned on, your location is updated automatically. But a fresh location request is still sent when trying to locate the device through the device manager. It will use whatever information/hardware that is available to determine the best location. So it will use cell tower, WiFi, GPS in any combination. If the phone is in any area where none of those methods work, you will get a "location unavailable" message.

Upvote 0
it shows me my device location within 10ft.. for all 3 of my devices: nexus 7 2012, GS3, GN3.

if the phone is completely off.. it will show the last time the device gave its location.
ex: my GS3 was last turned on in Dec.. it said the device was not found but here is the last known location.. and mapped it for me.

Upvote 0
it shows me my device location within 10ft.. for all 3 of my devices: nexus 7 2012, GS3, GN3.

if the phone is completely off.. it will show the last time the device gave its location.
ex: my GS3 was last turned on in Dec.. it said the device was not found but here is the last known location.. and mapped it for me.

That's been my experience as well. It's always been fast to lock in to an accurate location.

I've used Avast in the past, and really liked it - but I've come to prefer ADM because it doesn't rely on any third-party service or apps. It's all built-in and dead-simple to configure and use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones