How does Google Voice Search work?Support

Last Updated:

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried using it to send a text, but all that happens is it does a Google web search for whatever I said. I have my language set for US English, not sure what else to do.

Advertisement
  2. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

Voice search only works with Gmail contacts. So if you're using Exchange contacts like I am, it won't find any contacts and will just treat it like a Google search.

But all is not lost -- just install Vlingo, for free, and it has pretty much all the same functionality plus works with Exchange contacts. Personally, I think it works better than GVS anyway.

3. JohnJSal

All my contacts are Google contacts. It still doesn't work.

4. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

All the more reason to get Vlingo.

5. JohnJSal

Look, I'm not asking for a replacement app. I want Voice Search to work as it should. If you can't help, then don't bother responding.

6. JohnJSal

Do I need to install the separate "Voice Search" app from the Market? I haven't done that, but my phone already came with the Voice Search app, which seems to be the same thing.

7. Ricker

Ricker Active Member

I did exactly that and now it works differently.

8. JohnJSal

It works properly? Weird, but worth a shot I guess.

9. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

I got it working!!!

Go to settings and under Voice Input & Output change the language to English (US)

That fixed it for me, all the voice actions seem to work fine. Listen to doesn't search your phone for music though, it can only be used with apps like spotify, etc.

But I got "Navigate to", "Send email to" and "Send text to" working fine :) I'll try the others later

10. Herf N Turf

Herf N Turf Active Member

First thing I thought when I read the thread title was, "not very well" lol.

My EVO is my second Android device and, while it works better on EVO, it's still easily distracted by ANY background sounds. If I'm in my home, or an anechoic chamber, it's "okay". Text messages seem to work very well through Handcent. Setting it up for personal voice recognition helped a lot, but didn't make it acceptable. I think I'll be getting Vlingo, whether you want to hear about it, or not! ;) LOL!

11. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member

While I may not have an EVO 4G, I'm havign the same issue on my Thunderbolt :(

I guess I'm going to have to give vlingo a shot and if it works, replace it in root as the default voice search lol!

P.S. My contacts are gmail and my voice settings are US English as mentioned above, still nothing.