How does it compare to the blackberry?

Last Updated:

1. Anirak

Anirak Member This Topic's Starter

So after getting frustrated with the lag on my new blackberry torch, I've decided that I might get the captivate.

The one thing holding me back is the messaging features (e-mail/texting). How do they compare to the blackberry?

Also, does the captivate suffer from the same lagginess issues with simple menu functions/app changes?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

BB would beat any phone in email/text because it is proven, has a keyboard, and integrates the best with office mail. Everything else - no comparison, Captivate wins.

Yes Captivate out of the box suffers from some lag issues that get worse the more apps you install. You can fix that by applying the lag fix, or just wait for September f/w release that hopefully will address lagging besides GPS.

3. vbnyc

vbnyc Member

The blackberry has a keyboard which is important if you type while driving. Also, the cut/paste ability of BB cannot be beat, though froyo should be better.

4. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

Do you prefer a physical QWERTY keyboard? Then the Captivate is not for you.

Want to use Swype? The Captivate is for you.

The Blackberry is no longer the smartphone king. The Galaxy S can do anything a Blackberry can - and if it can't, the development community will make it happen.

5. suprsidr

suprsidr Active Member

Really? if you drive into me I'm suing.

6. captivated

captivated Member

Didn't you read the screen cover on your phone? TXTNG & DRIVNG ... IT CAN WAIT :p

7. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member

use the android keyboard and just talk into your text :D

and it doesnt compare there is a RIM product on the market worth having ;)

8. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Yea no kidding, Captivate atleast has a big ol' screen cover out the box that says "Texting and driving, it can wait."

9. jfLip

jfLip Member

Don't want to start a new thread... but, how's the Captivate's speaker/speaker phone? I'm coming from a BlackBerry Curve 8310 and the speaker gets very loud and clear. Can you say the same about the Captivate?

10. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

coming from a curve, the captivate has a better speaker, i cant speak for the bold or anything but the speaker is very good and loud

11. Hammy1757

Hammy1757 New Member

I had a Bold 9000 which I liked a lot. But I wanted a new toy.

Captivate Cons

Email
    Email on the Captivate is terrible in comparison, part of the solution is to use K-9 or Maildroid, but they don't compare to BB email. This is almost a deal breaker, they need a better email sys, I used to rec. my emails instantly on my BB, and could quickly sort through them, now the whole process is painfully slow and unreliable. You pretty much have to shut off wifi to consistently rec. email.

Speakers
    The speakers on the Captivate also come up short compared to the Bold 9000, Even with the volume up all the way it's not the same as before, although the speaker is an upgrade over the curve.

Led Light notification
    Another thing I miss about the Bold is the Led light letting you know you have a new msg.

Battery life
    All the glitz comes at a price, I used my BB nonstop, you have to be plugged in more with the Captivate as the battery can drain quickly.

Captivate Pros

Swype
    I really liked the keyboard on my Bold, but Swype is really cool, so that is no longer an issue, I thought this would be the hardest thing to get over, but I'm fine with the touch screen now.

Apps
    There are tons and tons of apps, some extremely useful, some just good for a laugh.

Screen
    The screen is beautiful on the Captivate! Movies look incredible!

Memory
    16gb built in and ability to add 32gb sd card, can't go wrong there.

Froyo
    An already snappy phone will get faster, and better can't wait.

12. Boldt

Boldt Well-Known Member

Out of the box the Blackberry wins in the email and text department but the Captivate with a few minutes of your time and the installation of a few apps destroys BB on many/all levels, at least for me. The email on my Bold is tough to beat. Even with Apps it cant be beat but I have no issues with mail on this phone.

I had the 8310, 8520 and still have my Bold 9700 but I prefer the Captivate. My main concerns moving away from BB to an android style phone were possible loss of push email, loss of a physical keypad and battery life. Comparing the battery life with these phones over a BB is pointless - BB wins all day. I thought I would have trouble with texting as this is my first touch screen but with the android style keyboard or Swype I actually think I might be faster. I also use the speech thingie - which, while not perfect, is pretty handy but Swype once you get the hang of it really is top shelf. Very handy. I have no issues with push email and I use the K9 app which is quite nice. I do miss my LED though :(

All in all I do not miss my Blackberry. I dont suffer any lag with my Captivate and I never did with my Bold but maybe I am not taxing it enough? I nearly got the Torch but after playing with it and seeing how fragile the phone is I could not do it. The phones at my local Best Buy and both AT&T stores were broken (top of the phone where the slider can rub against the little plastic part) this after two days of people toying with it scared me away, it looks bad with half of the top piece missing. As far as the speakerphone the Bold wins there too. Loud, almost too loud and this phone while it is fine is not even close when it comes to speakerphone.

13. mwxiao

mwxiao Member

Come on, be a good boy and don't text and drive.

14. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member