• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does Mobile Broadband (paid tethering) work on the Droid?

As many of you heard, Verizon is allowing tethering on the Droid if you pay the $30 for the Mobile Broadband package. How is this implemented? Is it an app that Verizon installs on the Droid, or is it implemented on their end by opening up a port on your phone?

Thanks for the information.

As many of you heard, Verizon is allowing tethering on the Droid if you pay the $30 for the Mobile Broadband package. How is this implemented? Is it an app that Verizon installs on the Droid, or is it implemented on their end by opening up a port on your phone?

Thanks for the information.

It's not available yet. It will be available sometime in the new year.

Upvote 0
How do you get it to install with the Droid.

I was trying to install the software and plugged in my Droid and even mounted the SD card and it says it didn't detect a device.

I think I figured it out. I had to get the Motorola USB Drivers. I'll see if that works.

Still didn't work. Any help appreciated.

Upvote 0
How do you get it to install with the Droid.

I was trying to install the software and plugged in my Droid and even mounted the SD card and it says it didn't detect a device.

I think I figured it out. I had to get the Motorola USB Drivers. I'll see if that works.

Still didn't work. Any help appreciated.

Don't forget to turn on your debugging. Probably your problem. Mine works great.:D

Upvote 0
For us, it's been mainly while out of town on vacation or something. Just so much nicer to use a netbook. I do believe that if you're going to use it regularly, you should belly up and buy the pay for tethering program from VZW. Do note: Do not tether out of country. About 3 days AFTER I'd gotten to Mexico (fortunately, we were on wifi), I got a note saying that the cost would be like $10 per meg! Maybe it was $1. But it would have cost me hundreds of bucks to just do a bit of browsing/checking emails, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones