How does Mobile Broadband (paid tethering) work on the Droid?

Last Updated:

1. shahidhaque

shahidhaque New Member This Topic's Starter

As many of you heard, Verizon is allowing tethering on the Droid if you pay the $30 for the Mobile Broadband package. How is this implemented? Is it an app that Verizon installs on the Droid, or is it implemented on their end by opening up a port on your phone?

Thanks for the information.

Advertisement
  2. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

It's not available yet. It will be available sometime in the new year.

3. Headsong

Headsong Well-Known Member

Take a look at PDAnet...don't know if it's for the Droid yet, seem to recall it was. Works like a charm in Palm land. One time cost!

4. GZ2525

GZ2525 Active Member

How do you get it to install with the Droid.

I was trying to install the software and plugged in my Droid and even mounted the SD card and it says it didn't detect a device.

I think I figured it out. I had to get the Motorola USB Drivers. I'll see if that works.

Still didn't work. Any help appreciated.

5. LiQurBox

LiQurBox New Member

Don't forget to turn on your debugging. Probably your problem. Mine works great.:D

6. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

How much data have you transfered with this? Has VZW said anything or charged more money?

7. Headsong

Headsong Well-Known Member

For us, it's been mainly while out of town on vacation or something. Just so much nicer to use a netbook. I do believe that if you're going to use it regularly, you should belly up and buy the pay for tethering program from VZW. Do note: Do not tether out of country. About 3 days AFTER I'd gotten to Mexico (fortunately, we were on wifi), I got a note saying that the cost would be like $10 per meg! Maybe it was $1. But it would have cost me hundreds of bucks to just do a bit of browsing/checking emails, etc.