• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How does one unlock a HTC Inspire 4G?

bella92108

Dec 10, 2010
So I'm new to Android, so forgive me if this is a common question.

I bought the Inspire 4G and it's my first Android Phone.... I travel extensively overseas where I grab local SIMs to use. With iPhone, I'd just pop it in since I bought my iPhone Factory Unlocked in the UK.

So I'm going to need to get my Inspire 4G unlocked... is it like the Vibrant was there it could self-unlock, or is there an easy way to do it, or a trustworthy online site that does unlock codes?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Since I'm not an AT&T customer I can't go to them to request it. :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I called AT&T today and asked for the unlock code, but the representative basically told me they would not provide the code until August. I guess AT&T launched the Inspire 4G in February, so the customers have to wait until six months since then. It is really annoying because I will be abroad for three months and I don't want to use the international roaming provided by AT&T. The coverage and speed is already bad in this country, what should I expect the service will be overseas?

Anyway, I also have the same question. If I want to unlock my phone, just temporarily for three months, what is the best option? If I unlock it using a code, can I still have the warranty? I don't want to root my phone though.

I'm not quite sure if the online services are reliable or not. Any opinions?

Upvote 0
"[FONT=&quot]Unlocking by IMEI is legit and is using a mechanism built in any phone (even the iPhone has it). The unlocking is permanent and it doesn’t negatively affect any functionality of your phone. After unlock you can use it in any GSM network around the world, install any application and even firmware update.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rooting is associated with Hacking your phone. You do NOT need to root your phone if you decide to unlock by IMEI.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unlocking by IMEI preserves your warranty."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]HTCimeiUnlock.com

Is that true that unlock my phone using their code will not affect the warranty? Does anyone know?

Upvote 0
Like others said, you can get a cheap unlocked phone to use while you travel However, if you really want to unlock it for your travels, I am sure you can do it via ebay. You can also contack blowfish unlocks at blowfish06@gmail.com and he will do it for $20 or so.

I called AT&T today and asked for the unlock code, but the representative basically told me they would not provide the code until August. I guess AT&T launched the Inspire 4G in February, so the customers have to wait until six months since then. It is really annoying because I will be abroad for three months and I don't want to use the international roaming provided by AT&T. The coverage and speed is already bad in this country, what should I expect the service will be overseas?

Anyway, I also have the same question. If I want to unlock my phone, just temporarily for three months, what is the best option? If I unlock it using a code, can I still have the warranty? I don't want to root my phone though.

I'm not quite sure if the online services are reliable or not. Any opinions?

Upvote 0
Is that true that unlock my phone using their code will not affect the warranty? Does anyone know?

It should not affect your warranty. They're just going to give you the same code that AT&T will give you (after the 6 mo wait).

But keep in mind that your Inspire's radio only supports North American frequencies for 3G and up. If you're looking to get data access, you'll be stuck on GPRS/EDGE in most destinations.

Upvote 0
I'm using it in India. My husband is able to access 3G on his cell phone which is Desire HD. I have rooted my cell phone completely but I still face the same problem with 3G. Even USB tethering to my laptop is not possible :(

The Inspire radio utilizes the 850/1900 3G bands. The DesireHD utilizes the 900/2100 3G bands. If you use the phone in a market where the 3G is on a different frequency than the radio in the phone, the best you'll get is Edge. This is hardware related so rooting and flashing a different ROM will not change it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones