• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how does the button on the s pen work?

Thanks guys but I obviously didn't put my question properly.

I wasn't asking how you use the pen and what does it allow you to do, I was asking how the tablet knows when you have or have not pressed the button.

I other words, what is going on between the pen and tablet when you press the button and touch the tablet, as opposed to just touching the pen to the screen.

I know that there's some sort of capacitive effect going on but if there's no battery in the pen, how would pressing a button change that?

Upvote 0
I believe it's a resistive effect. When you press the button it's changes the resistance in the pen causing the pad to read it differently and hence you know the pen has been pushed.

It functions the same as a wacom tablet (because it is the same technology)

Do some goggling on how a wacom tablet works to get the correct answer I'm just going on my knowledge of how they work.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. I'm sure you're correct.

Which brings me to another point - if the tab has wacom technology, does that mean the pen pressure can be read and can that effect be used during drawing/painting?

I've not tried that much but in playing around a little, I've not noticed that varying the pressure makes any difference. Perhaps it's down to the app. Must have a look at that youtube video - maybe it covers that.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. I'm sure you're correct.

Which brings me to another point - if the tab has wacom technology, does that mean the pen pressure can be read and can that effect be used during drawing/painting?

I've not tried that much but in playing around a little, I've not noticed that varying the pressure makes any difference. Perhaps it's down to the app. Must have a look at that youtube video - maybe it covers that.

Cheers.

Pressure can be read and all that is stated i nthe online documentation.

In order for an app to read pressure, it has to be compatible with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones