How does the god of OTA work his magic?General

Last Updated:

1. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Question here, how does the OTA servers work?

I don't understand how only SOME handsets are receiving the 2.1 OTA update. There are some people with multiple stock 1.5 unmodified Eris's in the SAME household on the same vzw account where only one eris has received the update while the other one still awaits..., why? In what sort of communication and what software is in control of this, what decides what phone gets it and what phone has to wait longer till it receives it?

I have my Eris activated on Alltel, I changed the PRL to my local alltel's PRL, changed the 3g login info to Alltel... Been like that since the end of December, I received an OTA update for 1.5 way back when even with my phone activated on alltel, does that mean it is GOOGLE doing the OTA control or is it verizon?... Very strange if you ask me.

My situation:
    I'm on 2.1 version 2 leak, hoping that I can get the OTA, these messaging notification bugs and browser crashes are gettin' to me, bah.. guess if I can't install the OTA, flashing to leak 2.1v3 is just exactly the same as the OTA from what I've been reading.

-steve

Advertisement
  2. char561

char561 Well-Known Member

You won't get the OTA if you are on leak. Just flash 2.1v3 leak and it will be the exact same thing minus the bootloader

3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

The send out of the update is just a completely random process, you have as much chance of getting it on the first day as you do the last.. Verizon say's that people with the leaks will receive the update.. as to if this is true or not no one can say for sure until it's in front of your eyes.. I updated 1.5 to manual OTA 2.1 and coming from some who's had the leak v3.. it is exactly the same.. so if I were sitting in your shoes I would update to v3 leak and wait to see what the future hold beyond that.