How does the HTC Sense.com work?General

Last Updated:

1. janoose

janoose Member This Topic's Starter

I am getting the Desire Z from Canada because of the HTC Sense UI feature. I was wondering how the Sense.com work in terms of finding my lost phone? I read it needs wifi and GPS, but on the road if I don't have wifi or data plan would I still be able to find the phone (probably a stupid question)? Lastly, I am buying the phone from someone on Craigslist, the person said he hasn't registered the phone on HTC Sense.com. I was wondering what if the person had would I still be able to use Sense.com if I bought the phone off of him?

Advertisement
  2. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

You live in the US, I'm assuming?

I know the sense stuff is alluring, but wouldn't you rather have 3G (and 4G) coverage? With the Desire Z, chances are the best you'll get are EDGE data speeds. (I'm not positive on that point, but make sure you do your homework before you buy.)

Concerning the location thing, I don't imagine it will work without service, no. How can your phone transmit the GPS data to HTC if it has no data connection?

3. janoose

janoose Member This Topic's Starter

I live in Canada. I got the Canadian version of the Desire Z last night. I have sold the US version G2. Anyways I talked to the HTC tech support before I purchased the Desire Z from Craigslist cause the person have used the sense.com with the phone already. The tech guy said I can still use the phone finder feature with data connection cause it uses the GPS signal from your phone and possibly your carrier network signal (he knows I am getting an unlocked phone cause my carrier doesn't carry this phone).The data connection or wifi in general is mainly used to lock the phone and transfer/delete data from the phone. The data connection is not used to find the phone. Lastly, if you guys are selling this phone on Craigslist and have used the sense.com feature. The tech support didn't have an answer to this question so I had to wait like 10 minutes for him to come back with the answer. Basically you have to login into your account and the top left/right corner will allow you the cancel the account cause they use your IMEEM number so you need to remove your account from their server based on the phone's IMEEM number.

4. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

Not that "4G" is even 4G. HSPA+ is the STANDARD 3G in Canada, yet Americans are going all crazy calling everything from HSPA to WiMax 4G. 14.4mbps (even if the G2 / DZ could actually do that on any network) is not 4G speeds, 52mbps will be 4G speeds.

5. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

In the UK we refer to HSPA as 3.5G

UK terminology:
    GSM/GPRS = 2G
    EDGE = 2.5G
    UMTS = 3G
    HSPA = 3.5G
    LTE = 4G

4G has not arrived for us yet but when it does it will be LTE.

The reason HSPA is not 4G is because it's an upgrade to UMTS(3G) which is why it's referred to as 3.5G

6. GlitchZero

GlitchZero Well-Known Member

Totally agree, dude. It's advertised here in Canada as "3G+" (HSPA+) but we all call it 3.5.

7. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Um, regarding the G2, T-Mobile uses HSPA for standard 3G. They're rolling out a nationwide upgrade to HSPA+, which they are branding as "4G." The G2 is a 4G phone in the US.

The whole "2G," "3G," and "4G" classification system is ridiculously arbitrary. It's just short for "second generation," "third generation," and "fourth generation," where "generation" itself is not defined. Concerning T-Mobile, they run four systems here (GPRS, EDGE, UMTS/HSPA, and HSPA+) and market them as 1-4 G, respectively. I don't really see a problem with this, as each one is almost an order of magnitude better than the previous system.

It'd be nice if there was some ISO designation for cell tech, but as it stands, the cell companies get to decide what to call this stuff. It's all marketing speak anyway. And marketing says the G2 is 4G. Maybe they should take an algebra class, but as it stands, I have a 4G phone. So there. :p