How does the phone know when I wake up?Support

Last Updated:

1. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so there's been something I've noticed about this phone, but I always thought it was some kind of strange coincidence.

Anyway, let's say I get a few emails before I wake up. My phone will not notify me. As soon as I get out of bed and walk around for a minute, all my notifications will come through...what? Can someone explain this? :p

Advertisement
  2. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

On the email program there is a setting for "peak times" and off times. Peak times are when you are mostly using the phone, I think mine was default set to 10am to 10pm. And you can set the email to check for new ones at different times.

For instance, between 10am to 7pm (my work hours) I have my phone set to check for new emails every 15mins. On the offtimes (7pm to 10am) when I am mostly sleeping or with people and dont need my emails I set it to update every 2 hours.

3. crazydog

It's not the email app, it's gmail. And i just overslept, woke up at 1pm instead of 10am like I was supposed to (also when my alarm goes off), so that's not it.

I also did not just get an email at 1pm. The last email I received was at 12:18pm

4. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

Zomg wtfbbq!!!!1

jayochs likes this.
  5. crazydog

My thoughts exactly, and this isn't the first time it has happened.

Here's what I think could be going on:
    -I accidentally move the power cord, which in turn moves the phone, so it 'wakes up'
    -The accelerometers pick up my movement (but I'd think if it was that sensitive it'd pick up my movement while asleep)
    -Somehow I change the ambient lighting around my phone when I get out of bed
    -???

6. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i am guessing you have your data set to something besides on all the time

7. Vaseline Smith

I haven't experienced this since I power my phone off every night then receive said notifications in the morning.

8. Vaseline Smith

True I use juice defender so if thats an app thats running then that could be the issue.

9. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

My first guess would be that you're sleeping through notifications that come in before you get up.

Or maybe your phone is magic.

10. Vaseline Smith

Ill go with the latter.

11. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

Your phone is just Incredible. ;)

12. crazydog

Nope. Data is always on.

Yes, but I don't have my notifications set to repeat, but they occur when I get out of bed before I touch my phone.

13. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

It is because where you lay your phone down during sleeping is not getting coverage. When you wake up and walk around, now you are getting coverage.

14. crazydog

That doesn't make sense, and even if it did, it still doesn't explain how the phone knows when I wake up.

Anyway, I just woke up and it did it again. It *might* be related to my going over to my computer, and waking up the google talk desktop app / going to the gmail website.

15. edbro

edbro Well-Known Member

What doesn't make sense? If where you lay your phone while sleeping is in a dead zone then your emails won't download. When you walk around in the house and move to an area where you can get a signal, then they download.

Your phone doesn't care if you are sleeping or not. It only cares that you moved it to an area with a signal.

16. Sigismond0

Sigismond0 New Member

You're not the only one, I have this exact phenomenon. My only real guess is that it stops notifying after X hours of phone inactvity. Then when either the phone is used (I use it for an alarm, for example) or online Gmail is accessed, it pushes them all through.

17. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

18. cipher6

cipher6 Well-Known Member

I'd say its the peak hours settings...

That or you sleep through notifications at night, and your awake when new ones come in, in the morning, making it seem like they just started when you wake up, but they've been coming in all night.

a 3rd option. people start sending you emails about the time you wake up every morning. My wife's goes off about midnight every night as junk mail bots send her more crap.