• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How durable is the HTC Desire?

puichero

Lurker
May 1, 2011
I had my HTC Desire for just a month and then it suddenly developed a black screen with white lines and became completely unresponsive.

I live quite an active lifestyle - jogging, biking and always take my smart phone with me to measure distance on runs and rides. My old Iphone stayed the course no problem, but the Desire lasted for a month.

For both phones, I bought a protective leather case and never dropped the Desire. I've started reading disturbing things now about HTC Desire having problems with being put in pockets! I never kept mine in my jeans pocket, but surely manufacturers should design devices with this in mind. I also see it performed very poorly in the stress test in comparison with the Iphone 4. I never dropped the Desire and it was always in its case.

Has any other users had the black screen with white lines problem?

Does HTC have a problem with durability of their devices?

They didn't perform all the test in section 2 or 3 so id look at it again and see what scores it got out of the tests it did, was still interesting to see that though. the amount of times I've clumsily dropped my desire and no damage. even big drops where the back and battery come flying out and I don't use a case. My brother has iPhone 4 and the first time he dropped it the screen shattered, then over time with more drops his charger has become intermittent, my desire is still as good as new.

I have read somewhere on here about some users with the screen problem you have but think its very rare.

Upvote 0
Those tests were pretty extreme and tbh anyone who subjects their phones to that sort of treatment deserves a broken phone.
The phone should be durable enough with normal daily use and I haven't heard of many durability failures on them.

Having said that, you could drop it a 100 times with no ill effects or drop it once at the wrong angle or on the wrong surface and that's the end of it.

All you can do is return it under warranty and hope they don't say it's been abused - if the phone casing is undamaged then you might be ok.

Upvote 0
I don't agree at all with the OP.

I have had two ipod touches, both of which have deep scratches all over the screen. My desire has none. Also, the the iphone 3gs in particular was awful for cracked screens. I would say almost half of the people I knew with one got a cracked screen with their 3gs. Now probably not a fair comparison as I know fewer desire owners, but I haven't met one with a cracked screen.

I haven't had mine long enough to say but the number of people on this forum that have had to send theirs back is a bit worrying.

Common misconception. Remember this is forum section devoted solely to the desire. It is only those with the problem of a faulty screen that post. They are a minority. Most don't.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, buy yourself a gel case. Not a plastic hard one, a soft gel one. They protect it pretty much from everything except keys. Unlike cases which purely cover the back, these rubber ones go around part of the front too. That means as its raised at the side, if dropped face down, the screen never touches the surface as its sunk below the rubber case. Likewise the camera lens, and just about everything else. I've dropped mine countless times, mostly on carpet and sometimes on concrete. Not a scratch, screen or body.

See what I mean?

2e0qkoo.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones