how fast can you get to the 5gig threshold?

1. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member

just wondering, is it possible to reach the 5 gig threshold wile just using the phone and how fast can you reach it if i tether it? like if i surf the web for an hour a day on just the phone, will i hit the 5gb mark? i know it depends on the sites i go to and such but is it something i should be worried about?

is there a way to monitor how much data i do in a month?

Advertisement
  2. summerfish

summerfish Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty possible. Didn't you hear about this kid that racked up the family bill to $22,000? Anyway, You can track it by dialing #DATA. It'll send you your texting amount, and at the end it shows the Data in KB's.
  3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

There is NO 5gb limit.
  4. may2700

i know, it "unlimited" i was just wondering if verizon ever put a "5 gig limit" how fast i could get to it. would hate to get a $22,000 phone bill
  5. may2700

do you know if it shows the data for just that billing period? or all the data ever used?
  6. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

there is no 5 gig limit guys. the $22000 bill was from a kid with no data plan using mobile web and youtube at 1.99 per mb
  7. summerfish

Like he said, which i just researched, there is no Limit on phones, just on Mobile Broadband Plans.
  8. summerfish

Yes that's true, but even without the Data plan he still went over 5GB. Almost 11GB.
  9. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

He went over when he hit 1KB, he had no data Plan so the 5 GB plan does not apply.
  10. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Loosely averaging across the two months I've owned my droid I've sucked down something around 1.5GB/month. I consider myself a very heavy data user. I could never get to 5GB under normal circumstances (no teathering), even if there was a cap.

Just curious, how much data are you guys sucking down?
  11. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

Man I can barely get a gig. I thought it would fill up quick with the downloading and such but nope. I cant seem to top it.
  12. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I know others have already said it but just to back up what they said...

YOU HAVE NO LIMIT, the limit is only for the internet cards.
    the cell phone unlimited plan does not have a limit (as the name states) However, I believe if you tether it is counted separately since you are using the phone as an internet card (modem). I though I was going to reach my limit and called to clarify. They rep said a bunch of people have called and asked mostly cause of what they hear in forums. :p
  13. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

As long as you're not tethering, you can do anything data intensive you want on the phone. Doesn't matter if you go over 5GB or not.

You can probably get to 5GB pretty fast though if you stream a lot of music. I think Pandora high quality is like 128kbps or 160? So you're looking at like 4MB for a 3 min song.
  14. may2700

after reading this i had to look, cause i thought i was a heavy user also. my monitor will reset on 1/13/10 and i have only used 321MB so your right, unless i tether, there is no way i will get to 5GB
  15. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

UGHHHH...there is NO 5GIG!! ITS CALLED UNLIMITED FOR A REASON... Even if you tether, stream pandora all day, and surf the web constantly for a month, ITS STILL WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR PHONE. Your PAYING for it so they cannot say a thing about it. ;)
  16. Flahusky

Flahusky Well-Known Member

With little effort this month I will have used ~3gb.
    Droid Live Radio/Slacker Radio, Sugar Sync and eMail(exchange+imap/pop).
    IF my local ISP keeps up their spoty service and frequent down time I can see that number blowing up to about 30gb :D
  17. fam

fam Well-Known Member

I use 1-1.5gb. If I keep downloading 9mb mp3's off imusic I may go higher, Its easier for me to get music on my droid than it is my desktop.
  18. There is no stated 5GB limit. If you odn't tether you have no problem. If you do, there's an unwritten "5GB cap" because they believe you'll be using the tether for "illegal means."

Anyway, it's pretty darn hard to reach 5GB without tethering. I use an average of 900Mb - 1.5GB per month.
  19. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I stream Pandora a LOT ... and d/l music ... umm ... a LOT. Yea, getting to 5Gb is not a problem for me. :D
  20. Sitting Duck

Sitting Duck Well-Known Member

I streamed about 4 or 5 hours of Slingbox video tethered to my phone one weekend on a trip and used less than 3 GB that month.
  21. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

Last month I used 256mb with what I thought was medium to heavy usage. I guess I need to catch up with the rest of you!
  22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Just remember guys that if we all start going nuts trying to use as much bandwidth as we can then we are gonna turn Verizon into AT&T. Not saying we shouldn't use our phones for everything we want BUT don't be wasting bandwidth just for the hell of it. If VZW sees everyone starting to try and overload the network then they will have no problem adding in a 5GB limit like other carriers have, of course that would allow you to leave without paying a ETF but where else would we use a Droid anyway?

Personally I use around 1.5-2GB a month, mostly from Pandora streaming in the car.
  23. scutzi128

scutzi128 Well-Known Member

Just checked and so far I have used 3.98gb this month.
  24. fluc02

fluc02 Member

I have used 6.2GB this month. I do a lot of Pandora and Spotify streaming, I have about 20 streams in FeedR with image caching enabled (it downloads any images related to each article in advance), and I use BeyondPod and have around 15 podcasts that I subscribe to, including a few video podcasts. I haven't done any tethering.