How good is this phone?Support

Last Updated:

1. Sirithe

Sirithe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I'm a Sprint Hero user, my girlfriend is thinking about joining my plan and getting a Moment. I know a good amount about Android now but not about the Moment. Would she be able to use the touchscreen to text or only the keyboard? And what are the good and bad features of the phone? Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement
  2. 9Nails

9Nails Well-Known Member

Text input is either keyboard or Android touch keyboard. Its her choice.

Good things about the phone:
    800 mhz CPU
    AMOLED screen
    Keyboard
    Google (Android)

Bad things about the phone:
    Audio in Pandora is awkward
    Its heavy and large.
    Battery life is just 1 day for normal use.
    Its just Android 1.5 currently
    Quirky Bluetooth

3. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

I still don't get this(just 1 day)... I guess because since having phones, I've been lucky to get a good 5hrs & I'm talkin cell phones since the 90's... I have never had one last as long as the moment & thatz 12-16hrs for me... I've been a Blackberry to Pocket PC to Mogul guy.. 3-5hrs was it!

Anyway, if she doesn't like it, take it back; u have 30 days of course so thatz enough time to get a feel for it...

4. 9Nails

9Nails Well-Known Member

Ahh... I was a freebie phone user switching to an upgraded phone with a lot more capabilities. I used to use the freebie phone for talking and texting for 1 week between charges. But with the power of the Moment and 3G I'm doing a lot more web browsing and checking emails since I didn't have these features before. And its a significant difference that I felt worth mentioning.

5. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

She can use whichever she likes. Just keep in mind that landscape mode only works (ever) in the direction that the keyboard opens (counter-clockwise rotation).

Just an abbreviated list.

Good:
    -Hardware is great. Couldn't really ask for more.
    -Comparably faster than every other Sprint phone.
    -Call quality is great
    -The bad things are all software related (fixable through updates)
    -Great hacker community:D

Bad:
    -Tough connecting to blutooth sometimes
    -Data can sometimes glitch/freeze
    -There is very little manufacturer & network support for this phone. (this is the biggest drawback BY FAR imo)

Overall it falls short of its full potential (for now).
    Browse the rest of the forum to get a better idea about what is going on. Everything you could want to know is here. You just have to look.;)

6. Keybeeetsss

^^^understood^^^

Yeah I've always(well since 2001) had a smartphone of some sort so I haven't had the luxury of long lasting batteries so thatz why, to me, on days where the moment last 8-10hrs, thatz greatttt;)

7. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Mmmkay. I get a little over 2 days battery life with moderate use... this is consistent.

Pros:
    -Decent processor. (after the update, this shows now more than ever *in my eyes* with 0 keyboard lag *again, with me* among other things running smoothly)
    -AMOLED screen. It's brighter, and it's better on battery life.
    -Hardware keyboard. If you have sausage fingers like me, sometimes using a virtual keyboard gets annoying and difficult. This was a major selling point for me on this one.
    -Volume. I find it to be very loud, and clear when on phone calls. The speaker on the phone is also quite loud. It's clear, although I wouldn't call it ground-breaking crisp. It's clear. As far as media playback, it's good enough to hear clearly up into the upper volume levels of the phone.
    -This is more a personal preference, but I find the phone to be more 'beefy' or thick feeling than the Hero. I like this. I enjoy have a little bit of mass sitting in my hands. Please be mature and don't make comments on that... I couldn't think of a better way to word it. =S

Cons:
    -The slide mechanism. I've seen many a complaint about this one, and seeing as this is my third Moment, and one of the others had this (the first one had a messed up slide from the start, so I don't consider it a testament) problem, I'm chalking it up. It just feels plain kind of loose to me! I barely have to use any force at all to just swoosh it open.
    -AMOLED screen. If you're a picture critic, this will get to you. Even though the screen is of a higher quality, it's gives everything a slight blue hue. Comparing the Hero and Moment side by side, it's noticeable. Very. Granted, we're not talking a VIOLENT blue hue, it's just slight. After using the phone for about a day however, you loose notice of this as the popping colors draw your attention in.
    -As stated before, Pandora. Doesn't work at all in my book. It glitches, has 5% of the bass that it should, which unless all you listen to is classical, this is a problem. Regular music off SD is fine, as well as with any other music streaming app.
    -Radio lockouts: Not sure how many people are getting this, but I am. It happens about 4 times a week, sometimes as much as 2 times in one day. Solution: Pull the battery out, and re-boot.
    -Bluetooth. It's a bit iffy on this one. It has quite literally, left people feeling blue, or in some cases, red with rage on it's functionality. Connectivity issues, as well as sound quality being quite poor in some cases.
    - 3-d acceleration. It's not good at all on this phone. We don't know if it's 1.5 or the processor. Either way, it's not acceptably good here. Although, I don't know if the Hero is either.
    -Flash/java support. We have neither one unlike the Hero. Although I hear the Hero's works on and off, so I can't confirm.

Anyway, I'm extremely tired, so I'm gonna cop-out soon. If I've missed anything, I'll see it tomorrow when I browse through the forums on my daily rouse. Hope I can help with information here.

8. Keybeeetsss

Mannnnnn how in the FRUIT SNACKS are u guys getting 2 days... I guess I'm on my phone a lot though... I average 2,000+ minutes a mth which has went down immensely since texting is so common now...

9. Thefoodman52

That would be why, Keybeeetsss. 2k+ minutes a month breaks into a decent amount per-day, not counting if you're texting like a high school girl left and right. My step sister could kill MY battery in less than a day if I gave it to her. She averages 200-300 a day if not more. I don't know how she doesn't have carpel tunnel yet. She has an iFail as well, with which she is forced to charge at any given opportunity or she won't make it through the day, much less the morning.

10. CriticalCritic

Well, I used to have a 1-2 day range on my battery, but now I have Locale abusing my battery. Though for my current situation it's not a big deal.

11. Keybeeetsss

:eek:
    :D

Well I don't text that much but quite a bit as well as talking & mucho' email... I'm in the music biz so that is one of the reasons.. But like I said, on average, I get 12hrs which is wonderful to me just being honest... Of course the whole day would be ___________(whatever is better than wonderful)...

But anywayz, sorry Sirithe for the slight jack... @ least u know some more about the battery life;)

12. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Speaking as the father of a high school girl who loves to text him ALL FRIGGIN' DAY, we average about 150 texts per day (yeah, she talks that much) and my battery easily lasts through work and into the evening. I usually don't have to charge until about 9pm or so. So I have my phone on from 6:00AM to 9:00PM with moderate/heavy use (I also use internet, wi-fi, calls, email, etc.).

13. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

The only issue I have with this phone is I cannot use the GPS for turn by turn directions. It just isn't accurate. This may or may not be fixed with an update. The Hero GPS is perfect, even though it is also CDMA using 1.5. Maybe it's just my phone.

Also, the phone is heavy, but I actually like it that way.

As long as she likes a somewhat bulky phone, and if having an accurate GPS is not that important to her, I would say that she would love this phone. It does come with just the standard Android interface, but that can all be changed with apps/home replacements...

14. Keybeeetsss

I can co-sign to this!!! It is not accurate @all.. But like u say, hopefully the update can work it out...

15. CriticalCritic

Mine works great for GPS...:confused: Better than my wife's Garmin

16. edp

edp Well-Known Member

same here, my gps works great, but does take a little bit to get started up

17. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

Do you hold your phone out the window when you drive? :p Mine is accurate if I stand still outside on a clear day...otherwise it is just generalizing my location and is accurate within 1 mile (sometimes more than that). I'm starting to wonder if there was just a bad batch of GPS chips installed on some of these phones.

18. LaFlavor

LaFlavor Well-Known Member

GPS works supremely well for me, too. That was one of the main reasons I upgraded, and I haven't been disappointed.

The only downsides I can see, so far are:
    Battery life: Some days it's fine, some days it's really short. I'm not sure what the difference is.
    The stupid update. Getting this has been nothing but frustration for me.

19. CriticalCritic

20. Thefoodman52

I use duct tape and strap my phone to my hand then stick it out the window. It only stops working in wet weather and at speeds of 190mph+, which is a big minus in my book.

In all reality, mine works alright, I just have to start it up when it's in my car. After that, it's fine. Not as good as my Garmin though.