How Has the Droid 1 Aged?

Last Updated:

1. npro1464

npro1464 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm considering getting a Droid 1 because my Verizon contract runs out in about a year and I think I might then want to switch to Sprint. I could get a Droid X right now by upgrading, but that'll lock me into a contract for another 2 years and I don't know if I want to make that commitment with Verizon LTE coming out soon and Sprint being an attractive option. Is a used Droid 1 worth investing $200+ buying off somebody online to keep for about a year? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Jcarmicha

Jcarmicha Well-Known Member

Not for 200+.
    I bought my Droid roughly three months ago for $150 - And my girl's a month prior for $200. Her's was practically brand new whereas mine was used roughly for 2-3 months.

At this point you should be able to find them from $100-$150 online. I wouldn't pay much more than that.

3. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

If you're interested in buying one for around $150 let me know, I might have one to sell you.

Send me a pm if interested

4. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

I would avoid ebay and go to craigslist. You can call verizon to check the ESN number to see if it is stolen. Better yet you can activate it on your number to make sure there are no glitches (or you can get one from a member here--it might even be rooted) I would say 100-150 would be fair.
    There really is not a phone out there that is faster, or more user friendly than a rooted droid right now.

5. npro1464

Not to sound stupid, but can you root any Droids? Are they all upgradable to Froyo? I know with certain ipads/iphones if you get a certain upgraded device you sol on hacking it.

6. npro1464

Sent pm

7. Oandroid

Oandroid Active Member

I got mine from Verizon for $120 new a couple months back. New contract + online discount + $30 off online coupon.

8. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Droid 1 is rootable and ROMmable. And my custom Droid whoops everything out there right now. A bargain at twice the price! :D

9. muab

muab Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Chief. At this exact second I do not think there is another phone currently available that would interest me more than a D1.

I have had mine for about 9 months and in the last 2 months the combination of rooting it, discovering some very interesting applications, and discovering some really amazing kernels my Droid is at least twice the device it was when I bought it.
    Really quite amazing.

Yes, the D1 has more ability to be customized at this moment than any other Android phone I believe.

10. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Yeah the D1 and N1 are the most customizable Android phones available atm, with the largest developer base.

Only downside is 256MB RAM :(

But for $150, it's worth it IMO.

11. y2thrasher

y2thrasher Active Member

I was in the same boat you are, contract is going to be up next year and I didn't want to extend it for the current selection of Android phones. I bought one off e-bay a couple months ago for $180 and I am so glad I did. Once my contract is up, I will see what my options are then, but till then I am going to enjoy my investment.

$150 is definitely a fair price if its in good condition.

12. npro1464

Just bought one from a local guy for $140. Very excited.

Since this is the root forum, I thought I'd ask what is my first step in terms of rooting/updaing the system? The guy had 2.2 apparently, but then did a system reboot and it's back to the original settings. I'm definitely interested in rooting, just don't know if I should update then do it, not update at all, or what. Thanks for your help!!

13. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

14. npro1464

Problem is that I have Mac. What Windows OS would I have to do this on? Would Windows Vista work? What about XP (and how old can the XP comp be)?

Can I/should I update the phone before I do this? Thanks.

15. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

you might want to PM RDKamikaze, he knows exactly which O/S he had tested on