How hot is to hot?

Last Updated:

1. ml3000

ml3000 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, total noob when it comes to this because normally I am spoiled with the cpu throttling that comes in the latest bugless beast builds. With that said...

Now, im running the nexfro and have loaded SetCpu for the first time and have the widget. I hear people talking about different temperatures with there phones. How hot is too hot for our droids? what what is normal temp? I dont feel like frying my phone but i cant seem to find a post that talks about it. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Our CPUs are rated (supposedly) to 100 degrees Celsius - but 50 degrees Celsius (~122 degrees Fahrenheit) is extremely warm, if not hot, to the touch on phones with no cover on it.

That being said, I have my SetCPU set to a failsafe at 50 degrees Celsius - I prefer it to not run hotter than 122 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, my understanding is that the DROID is supposed to shut off after exceeding 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I will yell at you for not searching another day.
    There are huge threads on them if you want more info right away.

I keep mine below 140. Only gets that hot in the car and when I am ROMming hardcore.

4. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

The basics of what I posted in one of the many threads on the subject:

"Normal" CPU operating temp <40C
    Safe(Without loss of CPU longevity) constant operating temp <70C
    Instant death of CPU >95C

I found these figures by thoroughly searching various TI documents on the OMAP3430.

dmodert66 and inssane like this.