• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How hot is too hot?

Rodeojones

Android Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2010
Bloomer, WI
I just rooted earlier today (currenlty running NexBeast V1.0 with the optional 1Ghz kernel). I'm currently overclocking at 900Mhz and the speed of the phone is amazing. I thought it was fast before, but this doesn't even compare. Anyway, I'm monitoring the temp and I'm getting a little nervous. I've been playing around with the settings and reconfiguring all of my apps (since I had to wipe everything when I installed the ROM), so I've been using it quite a bit for the past few hours. I'm currently charging it while setting up my home screens and I'm noticing the temp starting to creep up into areas that are making me nervous. I'm sitting at our around 100 degrees farenheit right now (and was up to as high as 111 at one point). Is this too hot? I don't want to over-do it, but I would like to be able to overclock. Is there a kernel that I should consider using that does a better job of giving me speed while maintaining a reasonable temp (I'm just using the kernel that was on the link describing the ROM on this site). Thanks for your help.

I just rooted earlier today (currenlty running NexBeast V1.0 with the optional 1Ghz kernel). I'm currently overclocking at 900Mhz and the speed of the phone is amazing. I thought it was fast before, but this doesn't even compare. Anyway, I'm monitoring the temp and I'm getting a little nervous. I've been playing around with the settings and reconfiguring all of my apps (since I had to wipe everything when I installed the ROM), so I've been using it quite a bit for the past few hours. I'm currently charging it while setting up my home screens and I'm noticing the temp starting to creep up into areas that are making me nervous. I'm sitting at our around 100 degrees farenheit right now (and was up to as high as 111 at one point). Is this too hot? I don't want to over-do it, but I would like to be able to overclock. Is there a kernel that I should consider using that does a better job of giving me speed while maintaining a reasonable temp (I'm just using the kernel that was on the link describing the ROM on this site). Thanks for your help.

Is this CPU temperature or battery temperature? Are you using TempMonitor?

Upvote 0
Is this CPU temperature or battery temperature? Are you using TempMonitor?

I didn't know there were two different readings (battery vs. CPU temp). I'm going by what the SetCPU widget is giving me for temp. I just checked my profile and the box for "Use CPU Temperature" is not checked. So unless I'm reading this wrong, this means the temp readings I'm getting refer to the battery. According to the info Fabolous gave me, I was still within the "safe zone."

I'll download TempMonitor right now. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones