• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Hot Should My Battery Get?

Dankees

Android Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2011
I recently had my phone replaced because it was overheating (over 120 degrees), and the screen was also messing up, etc. Anyway, I got the phone replaced and I have found that the phone is getting hot. It is typically above 100 degrees during the day. I have found that it gets hotter while not connected to Wi-Fi, and it gets hot while connected to the charger. But, even at home, while connected to Wi-Fi, it still gets hot.

Could my battery possibly be the cause or should the phone typically be hotter than 100 degrees?

I can take my wife's battery and put it in my phone to see what happens, but I am curious to know what a typical battery temperature should be.

I have also found that my battery is draining more than I would like.

Which app? I'll stream a movie on mine and report back how hot it gets....And now that I reread the op, I assume you are talking degrees F....I originally was thinking C when I read that. 100 degrees F is nothing in the electronic world.

Just need to point out that I really don't know for sure what I'm talking about and am just basing my opinion from dealing with computer equipment.

Upvote 0
What other steps have you taken to troubleshoot the issue? I mean, have you removed all 3rd party apps (every app that did not come default with the phone) to ensure that an app isn't causing the problem? One of the older versions of the Play Store (when it was called Market) use to heat up my battery (on my OpV) when I was updating or installing new apps. This is the only time my battery ever overheated.

Before I updated to Jelly Bean, I was able to watch movies with HBO Go on my phone and my battery never got hot.

Generally speaking, the battery should never get hot while charging or being connected to WiFi. Mine is charging at the moment, and always connected to WiFi while I'm home. Currently my battery is sitting at 33 Celsius. It's currently 73 degrees Fahrenheit in my office upstairs.

Has your phone been rebooting or shutting off? If so, that's probably the battery. It should shut itself off to protect itself if it begins to overheat. I would try another battery... if you don't go with another Samsung battery, I would try the Anker brand (good prices on Amazon). They're a good solid company and make great batteries.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's the battery that's getting hot? Before I got my Nexus, I played around with one in a Verizon store. I noticed the display model was pretty warm up around the camera. That's where they put the processor, antenna, etc. When I finally got mine, sure enough, it warmed up in the same spot. I've noticed it really heats up proportionally to use. Also when it struggles to find weak cell signals. I've tried a few different kernels and for me that has helped a little.

I used the first temperature app I found in the Play Store and right now it's saying my phone is about 107°F. It also says this phone should not exceed 131°F but I don't know if that's specific to my phone or just kind of an industry standard kind of thing.

Upvote 0
I think my phone may have an issue with this. I had a launch day s3 that never got hot. It was fine in every way until the headphone jack started to short last week. I just got a replacement yesterday and in the middle of the night I woke up and the phone was so hot that it had stopped charging and so hot that I had a hard time removing the case and back cover. Once the back cover was off there was a slight burning smell.

Right now my battery widget thing says my battery is currently 103 F. If this is what 103 F feels like, I have to say it had to be at least 150 F this morning . Anyone else experience this with a replacement? I really hope it's something that can be fixed rather than replaced again. I just finished setting everything up how I had it on my original s3. Ugh!

Also, I'm using the original battery. I've got all the same apps as I had on the original phone, nothing different there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones