How I got awesome battery life

Last Updated:

1. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is a great thread to read on tips for saving power
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/138944-how-save-power.html

But this is something that people over look, its mentioned in a few places but I think it needs to be promoted more. I'm talking about, well I guess the word for it is conditioning the battery.

Basically you drain the battery down till its dead(though in my case I went down to only 5%), turn the phone off and charge back up to full. One thing I noticed right away was how long it took for the phone to recharge. I have not hard data, but my experience up to that point was charging before didn't take that long. But now that I've done this, battery life is great.

I've been listening to music for a couple of hours, some light browsing, viewed a youtube video, took a few pictures, and I have background sync on and I have both twitter and facebook installed with notifications set to their shortest time span(15min and 30min respectively). Currently at 8hrs since unplugged and at 61%. Not bad I'd say.

I also have rooted my phone and installed the lag fix. I'm not running BH_MAN's cut down rom, I am still running stock.

Advertisement
  2. BossDj

BossDj Well-Known Member

i have done something similar, and noticed an improvement in battery life. i read a post that mentioned a support rep told them to let it die completely and recharge twice. i let it go down to 5 percent the first time, and 3 percent the second, before doing full recharges. as you mentioned yati, it took a while to recharge each time, but since then the battery life has been great. i can have it at work for a full shift, playing games, facebok running, doing what i want with my vibrant, and the battery never goes below 50%.

one thing to keep in mind is i did all of the charging within three days of it being brand new. i always think of li battery's as if you have to train them, too many short charges make them not so good in the long run.

also rooted, running the lag fix, stock rom, removed a ton of bloatware and use task killer like there is no tomorrow

***edited: yati, i just read the thread in which you outline the need to not use a task killer, as a windows man myself, i'm going to give this a shot and see what happens

3. yatimameiji

Another thing I've noticed helps, stop constantly checking your battery level. I think its a psychological thing to look at the percentage left and think omg thats not enough. But really do you know how much is used and how different activities change how much is used? No we dont really know, we can guess, but we dont know well enough to get pass that 'shock' of looking at the number value of the battery.

I think its also plays into why people think the batter icon is wrong. Again I think its this psychological effect of seeing that number. So I've started to just stop paying attention to it. I think a good example of whats going on with the battery icon is this: In the latest cars, besides the old fashion gas gauge, the computer can display a calculated miles remaining based off of statistics gathered on your driving and how much gas is left in the tank. I think whats going on is the phone is calculating based off of average usage and the percentage of the battery, how much life is left in the battery as opposed to how much percentage charge is left.

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

I like your signature

5. thetube

thetube Member

When I power my phone off and plug it in to charge it automatically powers back up... stupid thing!

6. yatimameiji

Umm yea it shouldn't be doing that. You flash your phone with anything recently?

7. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

The screen comes on with a large battery icon, but it's not really powered on. Once charged up it is in a shutdown state, and you have to do a power on to use it. At least that's what mine does.

8. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member