how I got sprint to waive the $10 evo surcharge for the next 2 years

Last Updated:

1. muncher

muncher Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My current contract is ending at the end of June so I was honestly trying to decide between the new iphone and the evo. I have had pretty good experiences with sprint retentions in the past as they've hooked me up with tons of discounts and goodies in the past on top of my $30 sero plan. I've been using my current phone (700p) for more than 4 years now cause I couldn't figure out a way to switch to the palm pre without losing my sero plan. Recently, as fate would have it, I cracked the screen on my ipod touch, which I relied on for a bunch of medical programs, I had to find a replacement... ok I'm rambling let me get back on track...

So long story short, I called sprint retentions and asked them to make me a compelling offer to not switch over to AT&T for the iphone. They said they'll upgrade me to the EPRP plan (Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program) and on top of that throw in a $10 credit every month for the next 2 years to cover the evo luxury tax. I played it cool but I did a little dance on the inside when they said they'll do that.

Anywho, I think the trick is to be out of contract or close to it, mention the new iphone coming out, and talk about how you dislike the $10 surcharge fee.

=D

Advertisement
  2. rockman1117

rockman1117 Well-Known Member

This is much more YMMV than you make it seem to be. The real key to me is that you had the old $30 SERO plan. They'll jump through all kinds of hoops to get you off of that plan and have that die off.

Good job, you definitely got a deal.

3. muncher

agreed, huge YMMV, but perhaps someone else is in a similar situation.

4. 80s_kid

80s_kid Well-Known Member

wow. maybe i can talk my way out of it lol. ive been a sprint customer for over 7 years.

5. abyss5150

abyss5150 Member

I'm wondering if I would be able to avoid the surcharge as well. I am currently an ATT customer and will switch to Sprint/EVO on the 4th. I am in a rural area that does not have 4G and probly never will! Any ideas on how I can get out of the $10 charge as well?

6. muncher

as far as i know only sprint RETENTIONS has power to give these sorts of deals, meaning you have to be an existing customer.

7. Zanthexter

Zanthexter Member

That's the standard offer to leave a SERO (and other legacy) plan, unforuntately I haven't heard of anyone managing to avoid the $10 EVO fee. With the EVO as popular as it is with the fee, Sprint doesn't seem to have any real incentive to waive it.

I wonder if folks would be more upset if Sprint had just charged $450 for the phone, like they did with the TP2?

They were a bit more generous a few months back, I managed to snag $20 a month as my bribe for leaving SERO and trading in my Mogul for the Moment. (I love the Moment, just gonna love the EVO more :) )

The monthly credit DOES STACK with other discounts including EPRP and Employer based.

I made a post earlier listing the easy to get public discounts:

10% if you belong to a credit union
    15% for students
    15% Everything Plus Referral Program

All are publicly available and easy to get.

8. MsRandall

MsRandall Well-Known Member

Actually Executive Services has more power than retention reps.

9. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

having 4g or not having 4g doesnt matter. the 10 fee is not for 4g service. its an evo fee.

10. nycmike

nycmike Member

I sent them an email stating that I was unhappy that I have been through 3 Treo's in less than a year and that I need a reason not to switch over to another carrier. Got an email 10 minutes later with the $10 credit for 24 months offer. All I had to agree to was a 2 year extension on my line...wasn't going anywhere anyway. Especially not with the Evo right around the corner.:D

11. crumsnatcha

crumsnatcha Active Member

Agreeing to that 2 year extension does not effect your $150 upgrade discount right? I'm currently out of contract and will sign a new one on the 4th when I get my phone, so I just want to make sure these discounts don't interfere with the $200 price.

12. wazzap1101

wazzap1101 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you have any tips on how to get Sprint to waive that $30 mobile wifi hotspot fee :D

13. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Sprint's got to make some tough calls. I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop the $10 charge at some point but leave the tethering charge in tact and make sure it gets disabled before the Froyo update. The other option I wouldn't be surprised to see Sprint take would be to leave the $10 fee and apply tethering as a daily/weekly fee rather than a monthly add-on. I also think they should just give in to tethering on one device at no charge and then add tethering charges for multiple device use.

Who knows what's going to happen, but I think Froyo's rapid deployment is forcing some action that wasn't planned for prior to release.

14. akayareal

akayareal Well-Known Member

I also got the $20 discount a few months ago with all intentions of switching to a ED plan in hopes of a good phone coming out this summer but the rep misunderstood what i wanted to do and added the $20 to my legacy account. So instead of me switching to a ED plan and paying the same amount i was back then, i have been cruising at a dirt cheap price until i upgrade.

15. nycmike

nycmike Member

No it won't mess with your upgrade. That was my concern also but was told it wouldn't and I have the email saved just in case something went wrong. But on my account it still shows my $150 upgrade credit available.

16. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Do me a favor and post up the email that you used.

Thanks

17. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

I suppose new Sprint customers don't have room for negotiation.

18. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

[FONT=&quot]Just my opinion, but I would think new customers have the most power to negotiate.
    Remember thats what this is all about getting new customers, just tell them your thinking of leaving the Iphone what can you offer. Would not surprise me if they have internal competitions to see who can get the most iphone users on contract[/FONT]:D

19. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

Sprint can give credits, discounts, etc, but be careful about calling them over and over demanding any credits. I say this because I remember Sprint canceling a group of people a while back that called in to much. You can google and find it if you want the details. However, I believe these people were calling all the time.

20. evoman2be913

evoman2be913 Well-Known Member

I too was offered this by Sprint for 2 years because I told them I felt it was unfair to pay $10 a month for 4g, especially since my area doesn't even have 4G yet. I also told them the nightmare I went through with the Palm Pre. They told me they will give me $10 off my primary line every month for 2 years. They informed me that in doing so I would be signing a 2 year contract, which is fine bc I am a Premier customer and am eligible for an upgrade every 12 months.

I also got $3.00 off a month on my brothers line for 2 years so his 4G cost will be $7.00, rather than the $10 a month.

Not too shabby at all! I am one happy customer :D

21. crumsnatcha

crumsnatcha Active Member

Okay, here's the deal. I just got off the phone with a very friendly and knowledgable rep. She renewed my contract with a static $10/month knocked off for being unhappy with the Evo surcharge, but informed me that this offer expires on June 1st, so if you're going to go for it, nows the time.

I was incredibly close to getting both the $10 discount and credit union discount combined, but she told me that the CU discount has to be applied first and takes 4-5 days to go through, by which time she'd no longer be able to offer me the $10... oh well.

22. sh4o8kid

sh4o8kid Well-Known Member

Can i do this if i am opening a contract when the evo comes out!?

23. Federer

Federer Well-Known Member

For people new to sprint, I would think calling sprint sometime before the 30 day return money back deal.... Tell them you saw the new iphone and would rather go that route since you dont have 4g where you live.

24. sh4o8kid

sh4o8kid Well-Known Member

Oh i got mines on the 10th, even so, the person i talked with said it wasn't mandatory to pay $10.

25. iboombastic

iboombastic Well-Known Member

So if I am an AT&T customer planning on switching to Sprint on June 4th. How do I get into the everything referral program? Do I just call and ask about it?