• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how I got sprint to waive the $10 evo surcharge for the next 2 years

muncher

May 20, 2010
My current contract is ending at the end of June so I was honestly trying to decide between the new iphone and the evo. I have had pretty good experiences with sprint retentions in the past as they've hooked me up with tons of discounts and goodies in the past on top of my $30 sero plan. I've been using my current phone (700p) for more than 4 years now cause I couldn't figure out a way to switch to the palm pre without losing my sero plan. Recently, as fate would have it, I cracked the screen on my ipod touch, which I relied on for a bunch of medical programs, I had to find a replacement... ok I'm rambling let me get back on track...

So long story short, I called sprint retentions and asked them to make me a compelling offer to not switch over to AT&T for the iphone. They said they'll upgrade me to the EPRP plan (Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program) and on top of that throw in a $10 credit every month for the next 2 years to cover the evo luxury tax. I played it cool but I did a little dance on the inside when they said they'll do that.

Anywho, I think the trick is to be out of contract or close to it, mention the new iphone coming out, and talk about how you dislike the $10 surcharge fee.

=D

That's the standard offer to leave a SERO (and other legacy) plan, unforuntately I haven't heard of anyone managing to avoid the $10 EVO fee. With the EVO as popular as it is with the fee, Sprint doesn't seem to have any real incentive to waive it.

I wonder if folks would be more upset if Sprint had just charged $450 for the phone, like they did with the TP2?

They were a bit more generous a few months back, I managed to snag $20 a month as my bribe for leaving SERO and trading in my Mogul for the Moment. (I love the Moment, just gonna love the EVO more :) )

The monthly credit DOES STACK with other discounts including EPRP and Employer based.

I made a post earlier listing the easy to get public discounts:

10% if you belong to a credit union
15% for students
15% Everything Plus Referral Program

All are publicly available and easy to get.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I would be able to avoid the surcharge as well. I am currently an ATT customer and will switch to Sprint/EVO on the 4th. I am in a rural area that does not have 4G and probly never will! Any ideas on how I can get out of the $10 charge as well?

having 4g or not having 4g doesnt matter. the 10 fee is not for 4g service. its an evo fee.

Upvote 0
I sent them an email stating that I was unhappy that I have been through 3 Treo's in less than a year and that I need a reason not to switch over to another carrier. Got an email 10 minutes later with the $10 credit for 24 months offer. All I had to agree to was a 2 year extension on my line...wasn't going anywhere anyway. Especially not with the Evo right around the corner.:D

Upvote 0
I sent them an email stating that I was unhappy that I have been through 3 Treo's in less than a year and that I need a reason not to switch over to another carrier. Got an email 10 minutes later with the $10 credit for 24 months offer. All I had to agree to was a 2 year extension on my line...wasn't going anywhere anyway. Especially not with the Evo right around the corner.:D

Agreeing to that 2 year extension does not effect your $150 upgrade discount right? I'm currently out of contract and will sign a new one on the 4th when I get my phone, so I just want to make sure these discounts don't interfere with the $200 price.

Upvote 0
Sprint's got to make some tough calls. I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop the $10 charge at some point but leave the tethering charge in tact and make sure it gets disabled before the Froyo update. The other option I wouldn't be surprised to see Sprint take would be to leave the $10 fee and apply tethering as a daily/weekly fee rather than a monthly add-on. I also think they should just give in to tethering on one device at no charge and then add tethering charges for multiple device use.

Who knows what's going to happen, but I think Froyo's rapid deployment is forcing some action that wasn't planned for prior to release.

Upvote 0
I also got the $20 discount a few months ago with all intentions of switching to a ED plan in hopes of a good phone coming out this summer but the rep misunderstood what i wanted to do and added the $20 to my legacy account. So instead of me switching to a ED plan and paying the same amount i was back then, i have been cruising at a dirt cheap price until i upgrade.

Upvote 0
Agreeing to that 2 year extension does not effect your $150 upgrade discount right? I'm currently out of contract and will sign a new one on the 4th when I get my phone, so I just want to make sure these discounts don't interfere with the $200 price.

No it won't mess with your upgrade. That was my concern also but was told it wouldn't and I have the email saved just in case something went wrong. But on my account it still shows my $150 upgrade credit available.

Upvote 0
I suppose new Sprint customers don't have room for negotiation.

[FONT=&quot]Just my opinion, but I would think new customers have the most power to negotiate.
Remember thats what this is all about getting new customers, just tell them your thinking of leaving the Iphone what can you offer. Would not surprise me if they have internal competitions to see who can get the most iphone users on contract[/FONT]:D

Upvote 0
I too was offered this by Sprint for 2 years because I told them I felt it was unfair to pay $10 a month for 4g, especially since my area doesn't even have 4G yet. I also told them the nightmare I went through with the Palm Pre. They told me they will give me $10 off my primary line every month for 2 years. They informed me that in doing so I would be signing a 2 year contract, which is fine bc I am a Premier customer and am eligible for an upgrade every 12 months.

I also got $3.00 off a month on my brothers line for 2 years so his 4G cost will be $7.00, rather than the $10 a month.

Not too shabby at all! I am one happy customer :D

Upvote 0
Okay, here's the deal. I just got off the phone with a very friendly and knowledgable rep. She renewed my contract with a static $10/month knocked off for being unhappy with the Evo surcharge, but informed me that this offer expires on June 1st, so if you're going to go for it, nows the time.

I was incredibly close to getting both the $10 discount and credit union discount combined, but she told me that the CU discount has to be applied first and takes 4-5 days to go through, by which time she'd no longer be able to offer me the $10... oh well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones