How I made money by switching from iPhone to Droid

Last Updated:

1. Campah

Campah Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I switched to Droid with about half of my AT&T iPhone contract left, so I knew I'd have to pay a cancelation fee. I had a iPhone 3G (not S), so I didn't think I could get much for it. Fortunately, I actually MADE money by switching. Here's my breakdown:

Droid (Best Buy) - $200
    Activation Fee - $35
    AT&T Cancelation - $100

Total Cost: $335

Ebay sale of iPhone: $389

Net gain for me: $54

Now I will mention that I did do 3 auctions on ebay for my phone, since the first two were "purchased" by Nigerian scammers (BE CAREFUL!), and I was super nervous when I actually did ship my old iPhone to the winner, but in the end, it was completely worth it, and I almost completely covered my first Verizon bill in addition to covering the switching cost.

Advertisement
  2. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I did the same thing except that best buy priced match the dell mobility price. Yay for us!

3. ctlongley

ctlongley Member

I did the same thing except I use a company (Nextworth) that I have sold numerous phones and electronics back to. They don't always have the highest price, but sometimes its worth it to know that I am not getting scammed.

4. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

I sold my iphone via howardsforum for 450 bucks. bought my mytouch3g for 99 bucks.. big profit :). plus im saving 30 bucks a month on my plan. that adds up over the next 2 years.

call verizon and fight for that activation fee, they are likely to give it back or credit you

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Welcome to DROIDNation. There's a wealth of information on here and you should ask questions or search because it's likely to have been covered. There's a few pricks that like to bash the DROID, but you made a good choice and it's a great app-phone.

6. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Well-Known Member

I did something similar, I traded my iPhone in at a Verizon store at a mall, They offered $100 off the purchase of a droid so I only paid $100 for it, plus i got a $100 mail in rebate, and a $50 mail in rebate for opening a new verizon account.