• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How I moved apps on Android 4.0 to SD card.

ibholst

Lurker
Jul 31, 2011
I've read a lot of non success posts. Here's how I did it on my 4.0 MID 7" tablet with a pretty generic load of the operating system. And without root access.

1. Click on the three dot "Option menu indicator" on the home screen.
2. Select "System Settings"
3. Under Device, select "Storage"
4. The first item on the right is DEFAULT READING/WRITING STORAGE.
5. Click on "/mnt/local" and change to the option for SD Card on the next pop up screen. You will be prompted to re-boot and do so.
6. Go back to the same place and confirm that it is now set to "/mnt/sdcard.
7. Download and install app "App 2 SD" from Google Play. When you run it, the optiion to move to SD card will now appear. You may move all the apps on the "movable" screen except those with a grey X on them and I wouldn't move the actual Android 4.0 app either. I had to do it one at a time.

If you don't do steps 1. through 6. above, when you run App 2 SD there will be no option to "Move to SD card".

Future downloads of apps will automatically be installed on the SD card if they are compatible.

Hope this works for you too.

Ira

Reactions: Waldys

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones