• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How I umbricked my Droid after failed 2.2 OTA upgrade!

obendeck

Lurker
Aug 16, 2010
I need to share this. I posted it in the Motorola Forums and was taken out by the Forum manager (a Motorola employee) beacuse he deemed it a violation of their forum policies. ##@#!!?? If letting people know how to get their phone back to life is wrong, what is the purpose of having this forums?:eek:

My story::D
My phone got bricked by the update (stuck at the Moto logo). After trying everything suggested out there, I realized the problem is that the phone canot be addressed directly form the usb connection. I dowloaded the 2.2 update from this website : Manual Android 2.2 Update for Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
I renamed the file as suggested to update.zip and copied it to the sd card's root directory. Then I replaced the sd card into the Droid and restarted so it would boot in recovery and ran the update.zip file. (The website mentioned has step by step instructions). after rebooting from recovery mode I got the Droid Eye and I knew my Droid was back to life.

Reactions: ccphilly1984
I have never rooted my phone, it's strictly stock. I did my over the air update to 2.2 today. When the phone restarted I could not get past the white M.

I followed the instructions in this thread but when I applied the update it ended in an error stating the cache was full, no room for some log file on the device. Device full.

I did the clear cache partition thing, then reapplied the update.
This time it completed without an error message.

I rebooted and after a few seconds of "white M" suspense, the android I was flashing at me! Success! All my apps and data are intact.

Based on this experience I suspect it might be wise to delete your cache BEFORE saying yes to the over the air update, just to be sure you won't have to go through this hassle.

Reactions: LZeitgeist
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones