• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how important is a physical keyboard?

It is much better than a virtual one. You make far fewer errors on it and you can type much faster. I switched from a keyboard phone to a touchscreen-only phone about 2 months ago and the keyboard has definitely been missed. The only drawbacks with a keyboard phone are that the handset is usually bulkier because of the keyboard, and durability takes a hit if you have to keep sliding the keyboard in and out.

Upvote 0
How important would you say is a physical keyboard to a new comer?

why?

thank you...

I was a Treo person, then had a blackberry for a hot minute, because I didn't like the touch screen keyboards on smaller devices, like my ipod touch.

When I went to the EVO, I was hesitant and there was a learning curve, but now I have no issues. I'm in front of laptop for the majority of the day I can just add things that way. I use google talk and google voice for texting so I dont have to use my device unless im on the go.

It all boils down to personal preference and device use. Look at device (size), individual user (and their physical hand/finger size) and how a person uses chosen device and make your decision from there.

Upvote 0
I think it depends on how open you are to new things.

Most virtual keyboards on Android (as opposed to the iPhone) work best if you don't type out whole words with a hunt and peck. For example, I use the stock keyboard and hunt and peck the first two or three letters of a word, and (even if I hit a couple of wrong keys) several words will come up as autosuggested ones, and then I just select the one I want. For example, if I want to type definitely, I don't type definitely. I type def and then when definitely appears, I just tap that and definitely along with a space afterwards fills in, and I go to the next word.

Some people like to use alternative keyboards (like Swype) in which you drag your finger over a bunch of letters instead of pressing, lifting, pressing, and lifting. I can't get into that, but people who are into it swear by it.

I should also mention that when my sister-in-law got her Droid, she wanted to get the keyboard one instead of the Eris, because she swore she "needed" a hard keyboard. Turns out after a week or so she never used the hard keyboard and just went with virtual.

Upvote 0
I use my KB for the majority of my typing, or voice command/dictation. I can't stand virtual KB's, I make way too many mistakes and the predictive/suggested/auto-fill is more of a bother than a help.
My sister and son both have keyboards and rarely use the KB, yet they insist on having them.

Sent from my physical KB, any and all typos or misspellings came about honestly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones