• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is Exchange ActiveSync a push email client?

Hi Everyone,

I was just tinkering with my Droid Incredible's "Accounts & Sync" and I am confused about something. With the Gmail app, there is no option to designate how often to check do for messages because it's a push email client, good. But when I check my settings for Exchange, I am given options to select how often to sync. I was under the impression that Exchange ActiveSync is a push email service, meaning I shouldn't need to designate when I want it to sync because it pushes vs. pulling. Am I missing something here?

BTW, I am running 2.2 froyo under SkyRaider 2.5

Hi Everyone,

I was just tinkering with my Droid Incredible's "Accounts & Sync" and I am confused about something. With the Gmail app, there is no option to designate how often to check do for messages because it's a push email client, good. But when I check my settings for Exchange, I am given options to select how often to sync. I was under the impression that Exchange ActiveSync is a push email service, meaning I shouldn't need to designate when I want it to sync because it pushes vs. pulling. Am I missing something here?

BTW, I am running 2.2 froyo under SkyRaider 2.5

It is push, but you can configure it to not be push if you want. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones