How is the defy in the camera department? Better than Nokia n95 8gb?General

Last Updated:

1. tednet

tednet Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys!
    Right now I am really thinking about buying the Motorola Defy. While I am waiting for some deals to maybe come out through my network providers, I wanted to ask, how bad is the Defy camera?

Everyone seems to be complaining about the camera... Does the lack of a camera key play a role in that? Do you have any complaints?

Right now, I have been using a Nokia N95 8gb for nearly 4 years. It does things OK but I can't stand how f'ed up it is in the WLAN department...
    So how would you compare Defy's camera to N95's camera? I kinda have really wobbly hands and my pictures come out blurred as hell most of the time, especially macro shots of documents... And because of all the blurriness it's impossible to use the flash anyway...

Does the Defy's camera have macro mode so I can take pictures of small details and documents? And when 2.2 comes out, do you think it will be able to shoot 720p video?

Any info on the subject would be awesome!

PS: I don't wanna start a new thread but does the Defy have divx support? If I could torrent movies and watch them straight from the phone without any converting, it would be amazing!

Best Regards,

Teddy

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I took my first few pictures this morning, of some barcodes/small print, of some coupons (didn't take originals because my girl was going to use them). I thought I may need the codes for ordering online. I tried to snap them quickly on my way out of the door for work (still dark), and I couldn't understand why the viewer had the picture so blurry...wiped the lens clean a few times, but that was not it. Well I tried to focus but couldn't figure out how, then I accidentally bumped the shutter button (on-screen, no physical key?) and the lens automatically focused. I'm looking at the pics now, and I'm able to read all the fine print, while looking at the pic on the Defy, in portrait mode no less. I'm coming from an N900, and without looking at the pic on a PC, I'd say they were comparable...if not better on the Defy.

3. MIKEEEEE

MIKEEEEE Member

my DEFY will upload photos where a G-2 can't get enough coverage to upload them.

5 gig autofocus with a bright flash.

takes pics that are about as good as my old low end nikon.

dunno about videos yet.

4. ZootHornRollo

ZootHornRollo Member

i am not outright impressed with the camera on the Defy and only very slightly disappointed having come from something with a better camera (N900). It is very adequate, no real problems.

It is not quite as good as the Nokia N900 camera and i believe folks on the maemo.org forum thought that the N900 was very nearly as good as N95.

5. bfready

bfready Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this really helps, but here's a pic I just took of my laptop reading your post...

6. MIKEEEEE

MIKEEEEE Member

they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

looks that way to me.

if you want something better, use a camera.

how many cameras can call someone and run apps?

i can't wait 'til next spring and start uploading pics.

7. connectandroid

connectandroid Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing, how good is the auto focus for small stuff like newspaper text in normal room lighting ?

8. ZootHornRollo

ZootHornRollo Member

i would have agreed with you whole-heartedly until i had a phone with a good camera... changed my opinion on the whole thing. It's very convenient to have a good camera in you pocket at all times... not so good to have an average camera in your pocket at all times.

seriously, it's the only bit of the Defy that disappoints me. If the camera is a big consideration i would look elsewhere but be aware you will need to pay bigger bucks to achieve what you are looking for.

i have a proper camera, it just doesn't fit in my pocket!

[​IMG]

9. jonmorris

jonmorris Well-Known Member

The camera isn't fantastic, BUT the phone does do a great job of making every picture look bad because no sooner do you take it (when it looks sharp) does the image get smoothed - presumably to soften them.

The result is that they look like bad photos, but are actually a lot better transferred to a PC. In fact, a photo in low-light will look awful on the screen, almost black in places, yet there's actually detail when you view later on - and not as much noise as you'd expect.

The same happened on the Milestone, and I don't quite get it! Why would Motorola process the images for previewing and make them look so awful?

Anyway, in summary, the camera is actually pretty good.

10. tomuk30

tomuk30 Member

not the best camera ,but more than adequate ,low light is an issue