How is the EVO for gaming?

Last Updated:

1. ah-shuh-lee

ah-shuh-lee New Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the Epic because the EVO was not available, now that it is I am wanting to exchange it. My question is, the Epic does very well with 3D gaming and performance I've heard. How does the EVO do with this?

Advertisement
  2. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member

The Epic is a lot better when it comes to that.

3. hydralisk

hydralisk Well-Known Member

The snapdragon is starting to show its age... but it handles MOST things at a somewhat tolerable level. The thing is, there haven't been many 3D intensive applications made for android because there haven't been any phones that can handle it. The Droid X was really the first.... and now I think every phone from here on out will have a GPU worthy of some impressive 3D graphics.

So for now... the EVO is fine. But it is far from futureproof.

4. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

The Evo will never run games as good and smooth as Epic but they are still not bad. I had to root my phone and use another ROM to get it as close. Having a separate GPU really helps the Epic in this department. Once it gets 2.2 I just can't imagine what it will be capable of...BUT that could be a while...

EDIT: I posted this numerous times but here is my Evo on Baked Snack 1.7 rom. Run the same games and see how it compares to yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcXJCtHHq8

5. jxr94

jxr94 Well-Known Member

TBH the Evo is just fine with games, i mean yes the Epic is better, but you can't have it all right?

6. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting this video (again, I guess lol). Really shows off that the Evo can hold its on on the gaming side, looked real good! Although a ROM is flashed, still going to give it credit.

7. decaffviper17

decaffviper17 Well-Known Member

Gaming??? Its a cell phone guys, A nice one but still a phone. Get a PS3 for gaming, its the same price maybe cheaper

8. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

Ditto that!

9. Pbaff

Pbaff Member

It is kind of hard to put a PS3 in your pocket and take it on the bus with you.

10. El Champion

El Champion Member

A Get a PSPs and/or Gameboy.

B) Emulate PSX, SNES, Genesis, NES and GBA on the Evo.

A cell phone will never out shine a gaming console with it comes to gaming.

11. toomuchgame441

I'd never get a cell phone soley for ganing but It's nice knowing that the EVO is somewhat capable if I did want to go that route

12. ah-shuh-lee

ah-shuh-lee New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the helpful replies! I didn't mean like hardcore gaming, just the basics. I exchanged it for the EVO yesterday and I love it! thanks for posting that helpful video.

13. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Well I guess I am coming to the party a little late here, but I was just going to point out that as far as gaming is concerned, there's also that issue of controlling the games. In that realm, the epic's physical keyboard makes all the difference.

14. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Again with this stuff....

If I want high definition online intensive gaming, yes, I'll get a PS3 or a 360, or some gaming computer rig. That's beside the point!! We don't expect that kind of performance out of our cell phone, for crying out loud.

I just want to play some midly entertaining games with some decent 3D game play while I'm out somewhere waiting, with nothing better to do. Solitaire only goes so far, then that's where 3D games come in for the rescue.

Nova plays excellently on my phone since rooting (not sure how it would fare stock). Over clocking definitely helps some when playing stuff like that though, the snapdragon is indeed a fast processor, but it's no GPU power house. It holds it's own though. I'm content playing a basic first person shooter while I'm waiting outside somewhere, or sitting in an office with nothing better to do, at around 20-29fps. Lowest I've noticed in Nova in particular was around 18fps. Not too bad really, I think.

Unrelated note:

To me, it feels like the Evo is the new Hero, the Epic is the new Moment, and the Droid X is the new Droid.

All the issues when the first generation phones (Moment, Hero, Droid) seem to be identical in pattern to what they are today with the new phones (Evo, Epic, X). The Epic still has radio issues, the Evo doesn't seem to be the most powerful, and the Droid X is the beast with rugged looks and almost as much/ more power than the Epic.

Might just be me on that last bit... could be over-thinking things.

15. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I've been thinking the same thing, except the addition that Samsung is again dragging its heels with upgrading that phone to the new OS... and there have been reports of the Evo getting dust under the screen... and the DX is well... just like before I really don't have anything bad to say about it other than it's still a brick :p

16. toomuchgame441

Evo is still a beast... don't have any issues with dust getting under the screen either. Seemed like that was a complaint on the Hero too, guess I just lucked out both times.