• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How is the Moment once rooted?

lay6

Mar 27, 2010
I have the sprint Hero. Rooted with 2.1 rooted blah blah blah...

My wife needs a new phone. I would have gotten her a Hero as well, but she does not like the virtual keyboard, so that leaves me with the Moment as an option.

Our plan is to get rid of the house cable modem and use the phones tethering as a $60/month savings, however she is not a technocrat, so I have a few questions before moving on with the plan.

How stable is the Moment once rooted? Are their stock, or close to stock roms that offer tethering?

With the Hero, there were a lot of battery issues that I was able to clear up. Are there any excessive battery draining issues with the Moment or anything you would like to share about the phone you do not like?

As a phone in general, how is the voice quality, and is there visual voice mail?

How difficult is the rooting process vs the Hero? For the hero, it was a few linux commands 20 minutes turned into 2 hours... and countless rom swapping till I found one that met my needs.

Is wifi limited to 1x or does g3 work in tether mode?

Can you multitask? Can you be on the phone talking and connect to data?

Are there any limitations to the function of the phone once rooted, ex camera doesn't work?

Any issues with overclocking?

ok yes there are roms that are close to stock with wifi tethering, battery is not bad but it will drain when tethering but if your at home just plug it in,yes for visual voicemail,voice quality is good imo,actually take about 20 min or so to root and have all you need to tether,as for mulittasking no you can't talk and connect data at the same time,no limitations once rooted,if your going to overclock you will get hangups when tethering you must underclock when tethering for best results but thats only when tethering and underclocking is built in to the app.

Upvote 0
I have the sprint Hero. Rooted with 2.1 rooted blah blah blah...

My wife needs a new phone. I would have gotten her a Hero as well, but she does not like the virtual keyboard, so that leaves me with the Moment as an option.

Our plan is to get rid of the house cable modem and use the phones tethering as a $60/month savings, however she is not a technocrat, so I have a few questions before moving on with the plan.

How stable is the Moment once rooted? Are their stock, or close to stock roms that offer tethering?

* Most of the roms I've used are rock solid. The rom builder at SDX is a very easy way to add just the features you want.

With the Hero, there were a lot of battery issues that I was able to clear up. Are there any excessive battery draining issues with the Moment or anything you would like to share about the phone you do not like?

*Battery life is just OK. The 2 main issues with this phone are weak gps reception and cdma lockup. With cdma lockup, the radio essentially completely shuts down and requires a reboot to function properly again. I've read that some Hero's suffer from this as well. For me, the problem only happens after ending a wifi session. I reboot after quitting wifi as habit.

As a phone in general, how is the voice quality, and is there visual voice mail?

*Call quality is excelent. Yes to visual voicemail.

How difficult is the rooting process vs the Hero? For the hero, it was a few linux commands 20 minutes turned into 2 hours... and countless rom swapping till I found one that met my needs.

*Easy...No linux commands necessary. The initially rooting requires a pc, after that everything is done via recovery.

Is wifi limited to 1x or does g3 work in tether mode?

*3G

Can you multitask? Can you be on the phone talking and connect to data?

* All Android phones multitask but no cdma/evdo phones similtaniously use data and phone.

Are there any limitations to the function of the phone once rooted, ex camera doesn't work?

*not unless it's a bug in a newly released rom/kernal, usually fixed asap.

Any issues with overclocking?

* I don't overclock, so I can't help you here.

Upvote 0
With cdma lockup, the radio essentially completely shuts down and requires a reboot to function properly again. I've read that some Hero's suffer from this as well. For me, the problem only happens after ending a wifi session. I reboot after quitting wifi as habit.

Does CDMA lockup occur after all wifi sessions (Probably the only problem I have yet to encounter with the hero). Can you take a call while in wifi tether?

Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones