• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is the N1 going to get future Android updates?

jthreads

Nov 20, 2009
London UK
Hi everyone,
I'm just amazed like everyone else right now about this phone :D
but one question which I couldn't find anywhere yet(blogs are filled showing off hardware and software features) is, once the hype is over :rolleyes: how will this phone going to get Android updates?? OTA??? I guess if you're on a contract yes, but what about unlocked ones :eek:

Thanks

I too was wondering this as I am going to be using the phone in Australia.

Hopefully the phone checks with the Google "update server" at particular intervals or can be forced to check for an update. Maybe upon power up or even upon a particular event triggering it?

It makes sense that an update can be pushed to the handset via a partnered network (AT&T) - but as you pointed out, for those using the phone on other networks that wouldn't work obviously...

Upvote 0
I'm really hoping that it comes directly from Google and not via one of the carriers. I thought that would be a major advantage of this distribution model.

i would certainly think it would work this way. with this new sales model google has created i think goog will have the ultimate say in all updates without carrier intervention.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones