How is the slingbox reception on 3g?

Last Updated:

1. spider055

spider055 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone with the new slingbox app please tell me how is the reception on 3g compared to the Sprint tv app on 3g. I want to buy the Slingbox Solo to watch NCAA football while at work on Saturdays. I have Directv HD DVR setup. I can also pick up 2 bars on 4g settings in New Jersey when I am outside.

Advertisement
  2. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

I'm actually quite surprised at how well it works over the 3G; I'd expected to have to use the WiFi to get a good connection. My last experience with the Mobile Slingplayer was on my Treo Centro two years ago, which had a far-less powerful CPU (and OS) and it was only OK, but they've been able to take advantage of the processing power of the CPU to get better compression and need less bandwidth.

I can watch HDTV streams from my Sling HD with 3G and other than the initial breakups in the first few seconds as it buffers up, it's very watchable (and better than the SprintTV app, IMO).

spider055 likes this.
  3. Kidmet

Kidmet Well-Known Member

I'd disagree with this. Sometimes I get amazing reception. Sometimes my phone fails connection or freezes. Wish it was consistently good. :(

spider055 likes this.
  4. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member

It is all based on your download/upload speeds. If you are in a bad 3G area, chances are the quality won't be that good. If your upload speeds from your slingbox to the net isn't really high, again your quality won't be that good.

Good thing is after a few seconds, the picture should become stable. No stuttering or anything since it adjusts the quality of the audio/video based on connection so there is no starting/stopping.

spider055 likes this.
  5. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Oh and I have 1.5 Mbit/sec upload where my SB PRO-HD is, which has gotta help :)

6. AngryCPA

AngryCPA Active Member

Yep ive had similar issues over 3G and wifi as well, sometimes it cuts out when I have a strong signal so I'm not sure what to make of that. Works pretty good for the most part though, definitely not a dealbreaker.

To the OP, if you dont have a strong 3G signal and good upload speed at home its pretty much going to suck.

spider055 likes this.
  7. spider055

spider055 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok.. Thanks for the feedback guys..I am going to order mine today....:D

8. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

It's not "all about speed", but the quality of your circuits as well. Most likely, if you are having PQ issues on the phone, its generally an issue with the your cellular reception. Don't discount any potential issues with your home's router/circuit either (short in the line, flaky router port/OS, etc.). The slingbox will stream HD "channels" at as low as 150Kbs, at least with configurable versions of slingmobile, but with "slingstream" enabled (if still used on the Android version), it will automatically determine the "usable bandwidth" for your given connection.

9. Kidmet

Kidmet Well-Known Member

I'm in the exact same spot when it doesn't work, as I was when it did the day before. I am going to look into some port stuff.