1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How is VLINGO?

Last Updated:

1. xsabrewulf

xsabrewulf Active Member This Topic's Starter

It sounds like a good idea, does it work well? I read somewhere that it has rights to install apps without you knowing etc.

is there a paid version? the market only shows 1 version and its free. what are the restrictions? could someone recommend something better?

Advertisement
  2. Boldt

Boldt Well-Known Member

It used to be a pay app but now its free. I have used it in the past and it worked pretty nicely but could not do some commands I needed it to do so I dropped it. Overall its still nicely done.

Edwin is another one you could try *also in the market* though I have never used that app.

Edwin, Speech-to-Speech - Android app on AppBrain

3. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I am in love with Vlingo! I used it yesterday to text my hubby while on my way to pick him up from work, and it's awesome! There's no need to even really touch your phone much, LOVE it!

4. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

You could try both Vlingo and Edwin as they are both very good apps.

5. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

i use vlingo and i find it to be pretty darn accurate

6. Steeler

Steeler Well-Known Member

I use Vlingo. It is amazingly accurate. I use it in the car, & I almost never have to touch the phone.

The phone will ask you what you want to do, just by speaking the words, "Hey Vlingo".

Makes driving SO much safer. I consider it a "must have" app.

7. yahooserious

yahooserious New Member

I use and love the vlingo app. I didn't know you could ask it what to do tho! That would only make it that much better. The only thing I don't like about vlingo is the keyboard.. don't ask me why cause I can't quite pinpoint it but otherwise vlingo is the bees knees!

8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I just started using it, and after adding the widget to my lockscreen I love it!

There is one thing I don't like: When saying - "Navigate to 'contact'" it doesn't work. It uses contact info fine for text, etc but it won't work for navigation.

Also the safe reader sucks if listening to music through bluetooth. It doesn't pause the music and it is way too quite to hear the text it is reading. Other than those 2 things it is awesome.

9. xsabrewulf

xsabrewulf Active Member This Topic's Starter

how do you add it to Lock Screen?

also, I have an issue... I say call John Home

it always calls John Mobile because its the first on the list
    how can i get it to use the Home and not mobile

10. chrlswltrs

11. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I really like it. The only problem I have had is getting Safereader to read my incoming texts. That doesn't seem to work for me. That's a problem since my state just enacted a law against texting while driving. This software gets around that problem.

It's a free app. Download it and try it out. What have you got to lose?

12. daniturn3

daniturn3 Member

i have vlingo installed while it is a good app it dont get much of what a say right so i cant use it as stand alone texting app just yet maybe one day i may

13. Hightech

Hightech Well-Known Member

I love Vlingo....used it this morning...."TEXT" XXX "MESSAGE" blah blah blah..... Got everything perfect.

Interesting question.....if you do a voice text....and you get stopped, will the cop know that you didn't type the text, but rather, dictated it?

If they ask to see your phone....it will just show that a text was sent...not HOW it was sent.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

14. chrlswltrs

Depends on how the law is written in your state. In Washington for example it doesn't matter, the law states you cannot send text messages, it doesn't say you can't type text messages.

Anyways, I would never give a pig my phone to look at. It is private property and without a warrant they have no right to take it from you, that would be illegal search and seizure, people need to understand their rights instead of just doing whatever a pig says and assuming they have to. If he asked me about my phone I would say I was changing songs or using navigation, neither of which are illegal and I do both all the time.

15. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I loved Vlingo, and paid for it when i had blackberry.
    I tried the beta version for D1 when it came out - not impressed versus the google voice search. Now D2 has another voice recognition for phone tasks and such.

I may have to try vlingo again purely for the lock screen widget. I just hold the hard search key for voice search and double tap the home key for the other voice control, so vlingo serves little purpose besides the lockscreen.
    N

16. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Well-Known Member

Just got it and I am loving it. It has an excellent keyboard and the voice to text is extrememly accurate. Plus it is free. The final bonus is that it does predictive text in my Gmail app, and that is something that Swiftkey does not do.

17. TLDspectre

TLDspectre Well-Known Member

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Vlingo's "InCar" feature on Verizon phones so I won't even have to press the widget to use it. It's currenly only available for Sprint users.

Did you know...

18. pokerjv

pokerjv Active Member

chrlswltrs and TLDspectre like this.
  19. TLDspectre

TLDspectre Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try on my Droid X! :)

EDIT: So far so good in early testing - I'll give it the acid test on the way home from work tonight! :)

20. chrlswltrs

21. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

Ok, I might be missing something. Is there a way to have the "safereader" to launch when I have it docked and turn off when I undock.

22. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Get Settings Profile - I have it set to go into the InCar mode when I get into the car dock.

23. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

I have Settings Profile. I even posted a question about this in their google group (no response). Which item do you pick to run? does it kill it? I couldn't get it to work right.

24. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

(I know this is a few months old)

I had it on my BB and now have it on my Captivate. The voice recognition is much like others where speaking clearly is a must. But Vlingo is dead on for me every time including the punctuation. After using it so much I am inclined to buy or register it if I have to.

25. chrlswltrs

It used to be a paid app, something like $10 I think, then when android 2.1 was released which integrated voice input by default Vlingo made their app free. There is only 1 version and its free now :)