• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is WiMax going to cover 120 million people

6 months for the core of the city are u kidding? maybe new york and la... pittsburgh was done in a month... for the core theres a marker board that shows timeframe... most of this is just droping a box and running wires up which almost all the foundation is alrdy there there just ammending towers not constructing many new ones

had a few beers tonite? :D

Upvote 0
Sprint and Clearwire today announced 18 more markets that will gain its WiMax wireless network later this summer. WiMax will go live in Nashville, Tenn.; Daytona Orlando and Tampa, Fla.; Rochester and Syracuse, N.Y.; Merced, Modesto, Stockton, and Visalia, Calif.; Wilmington, Del.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Eugene, Ore.; Yakima and Tri-Cities, Wash., during the summer months, joining 32 markets already covering 41 million people. Clearwire, Sprint detail their summer 4G push - Kansas City Business Journal:

Upvote 0
I said earlier that they couldn't cover 120 million people with the existing announced list, but that will significantly boost the chances of it happening.

Edit: but some of those markets were already included by me, so maybe not as promising as I thought...

Maybe you can redo the math to see what the new total is? I'm kind of interested.

Also it just says cities to get 4G this summer, so I wouldn't be surprised if more cities got 4G in the fall and winter that have not been announced.

Upvote 0
Nashville 1,600,000
Orlando 2,100,000
Tampa 2,750,000
Jacksonville 1,300,000
Daytona 500,000
Merced 250,000
Modesto 500,000
Stockton 675,000
Visalia 425,000
(Wilmington DE is considered part of the Philly MSA)
Eugene 350,000
Yakima 240,000
No clue what the tri-cities are in Washington
Rochester 1,000,000
Syracuse 650,000

So the newly announced MSAs add up to 12.35 million...but as I said before they wont get 100% coverage.

The glaring omissions for coverage are Phoenix AZ and Detroit MI. Adding those two would put them at the 120 pretty easily I think...and I have to think that is in the works...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Like someone else has said, this is mainly a marketing thing by saying they will cover 120 by the end of the year. Im sure they threw out a number that was achievable but if not achieved (for whatever reasons) will only fall short by a few.

I really think that the number they threw out may end up being less than what they really want to achieve by yrs end.

If they fall short by 10 million, its not like falling short by 50 million.

Upvote 0
Okay, you got me on LA, i just threw that in there to emphasize the point lol, but seriously if you've heard of Visalia you're either also stretching the truth or thats your birthplace. Wikipedia says its the 112th largest metro area in the country. Great.

Meanwhile there's rumors for SD and not a single word of OC, yet OC has a larger population than SD.

*sigh*

it's okay i'm still going to love the phone, but it's frustrating. i'm sure some of you can understand. seeing meaningless cali cities feels more like a slap in the face than a blessing

Upvote 0
Okay, you got me on LA, i just threw that in there to emphasize the point lol, but seriously if you've heard of Visalia you're either also stretching the truth or thats your birthplace. Wikipedia says its the 112th largest metro area in the country. Great.

Meanwhile there's rumors for SD and not a single word of OC, yet OC has a larger population than SD.

*sigh*

it's okay i'm still going to love the phone, but it's frustrating. i'm sure some of you can understand. seeing meaningless cali cities feels more like a slap in the face than a blessing

I know for sure towers were going up in the O.C.

Reactions: JustFrozen
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones