How long do the "ebay batteries" keep their charge? Thinking about keeping one in the carAccessories

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm thinking about keeping one in the car for emergencies, just wondering how much charge will they lose say over a one week or one month period if I just keep it in the car.

Advertisement
  2. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

I've not noticed any difference between the E-bay batteries and the stock one. Of course, I'm just a user, not a tester, so grain of salt time...

3. bigddybn

bigddybn Well-Known Member

You are far batter off buying one of those "chargers" that uses alkaline batteries for an emergency charger. Lithium batteries have fairly high self discharge rates whereas alkaline batteries last for years.

4. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

I have had one of my ebay batteries sitting here for a month and a half. I just put it in my phone cause my other two battery has died. The battery still had 96% charge to it.

tracerit likes this.
  5. skittlesV1

skittlesV1 Well-Known Member

Its not a good idea to leave lithium ion battery's in a hot car, that will kill your battery's life. What I did is keep a spare in my wallet because its so thin and my wallet has a zipper thing, but now iI bought one of those extended 3000 mah batterys off ebay for 12 bucks and it works amazingly well. The back looks alot better than sedios also

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yep, the problem isnt the self-discharge rate, but being in a hot car will kill the battery.

7. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member

cold kills the battery faster then hot:)

8. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Well-Known Member

I have a brand new battery evo battery I will sell you for $25

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

Actually, no. Cold reduces the output of a battery, because chemical reactions happen more slowly at low temps. But warm it back up and everything's back to normal. Excessive heat, OTOH, can break down the chemicals and construction of a battery, causing permanent damage.

If the OP does choose to keep a battery in the car, I'd suggest keeping it in the trunk. It'll get hot, but not as hot as the interior of a car parked in the sun.