• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long do you wait before getting the latest and greatest phone?

Jaredd

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
In other words, how long do you typically stick with your android phone?

I've been using my Skyrocket for a few months now, and even though I have the urge to get one of the higher end phones such as the Nexus 4 or Galaxy s3, I'm pretty happy with what I have and can hold off for now.

Typically lasts me almost two years since that's my carrier upgrade cycle. Although I'm breaking it this year because I kept my phone and took a free Tab from my carrier lol. Still looking if I can suck it up and not buy a phone until the next upgrade. Lol. My carrier upgrade is worth around $400 discount, so its pretty tempting to just wait it out.

Upvote 0
In other words, how long do you typically stick with your android phone?

Until it dies or ceases to be useful. I'm the same with most tech items. Last one was two years....Samsung Galaxy S(deceased).

I've been using my Skyrocket for a few months now, and even though I have the urge to get one of the higher end phones such as the Nexus 4 or Galaxy s3, I'm pretty happy with what I have and can hold off for now.

IMO if you wait for the next latest greatest, by the time you get it, you'll be wanting the next latest and greatest after that one. I'm not committed to any two year contacts, pre-paid monthly.

Upvote 0
Well......last April, I got the Xperia Play, then I got the Xperia Arc. My partner then got the Sensation, I ended up with that and her the Play. Then in December she got the S2. Brilliant phone, I got one too in January this year. Come June I got the S3.

At the moment, I've sold my S3, decided I could use a Lumia 800 which I initially bought to use for games and music - but would have to get a Nexus 7 so did so. Totally regretting it though and now looking at getting either another S3, a Note 2 or the Nexus 4. Not decided yet lol.

And those phones are just last year/this year!

Upvote 0
I'm on ATT, and usually wait every 18 months when my upgrade hits. I just picked up a SGS3 about 2 weeks ago, and sold my ATT locked HTC inspire for almost as much as the S3 cost me. I am VERY tempted to root the S3, but I'm also very nervous about bricking the phone, and I'm pretty happy with the functionality of the phone currently.
Scott

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones