how long does your battery last..

Last Updated:

1. Stephen4036

Stephen4036 Member

maybe I just text like a high school girl but it seems one day of use and some surfing the web and facebook and its pretty much dead everynight.

not a huge deal since it charges in the car and when im at home but I remember back in the days when a phone lasted days...

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Seems low to me. I usually browse the web regularly, listen to music while at work for a few hours, text and make a few calls and am still in green by the time I go to bed, so it's lasting me a solid 15-16 hours without requiring a charge.
  3. Geoj

Geoj Guest

I use my apps when needed and my lasts a little over 24 hours...
  4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Mine lasts about 24 hrs with about 12-16 of moderate usage.
  5. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

I get about 14 hours with heavy usage...
  6. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

I can easily go 2 and a half day when i use it for say

Basic phone (call and sms) needs.
    The odd tweet and facebook update.
    A quick google.

However on a normal boring-day's use.
    I'll be at about 25-30% and that's using taskiller after EVERYTHING i do aha.

Although i can say the music last a LOT longer than i expected.
    Like a LOT longer.
    2 hours of music and i expected my phone to be at about 40-50%
    but when i checked it was like 79%
  7. drabidea

drabidea Well-Known Member

I send about 15 texts a day and listen to two hours of music and search the internet for 30 mins total a day.

My battery life has done down drastically since I first got it. Like the OP said its not a big deal because I have a charge cable in my bedroom, car, and cubicle. However, I don't really like using all that electricity and I am sure I will need a new battery before not to long.

Does anyone have tips for saving battery life?
  8. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Keep the screen on the dim side if you're not really needing the ultra-brite mode, turn off the GPS and wifi until you need it. Also, I use Advanced Task Killer whenever I think about it... mixed reviews on whether or not that helps. If I start the day with a full charge, then use it every hour or so for GPS, internet, texting (moderate use), it hits about 40% by 5pm...
  9. droid747

droid747 Well-Known Member

I usually get between 2-3 days, depending on how much I use my phone.
  10. d1pham

d1pham Well-Known Member

+24 hours to 12 hours depending on usage.
  11. Stephen4036

Stephen4036 Member

i send/receive over 500 a day most days..
  12. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

I think location has a lot to do with variable battery life. On weekends when I am at home, my battery is over 50% at midnight... on the weekdays, when at work in a building where the signal is very low, I am at, or below, 50% before I even leave at 3:30. I have much heavier use on weekends also, so it's just the location that is a heavy drain.
  13. neemo6

neemo6 Well-Known Member

I get horribly life on the battery, great signal, no wifi, bluetooth, or gps. Literally made 2 phone calls today 37minutes total and was on the web for 4 minutes to check bank balance. Battery was at 50% when i got home from work. Checked battery usage Voice calls was leading culprit w/ 50% and display was 16%, everything else under 10%. I dont know how some of you guys get 24+ hrs. I have been extemely conservative in using this phone to my taste, as trying to figure out what the battery deal is. Cannot imaging if i want to browse web, see youtube vids, use the navigations or something. Hoping I have a bad battery, because i would really hate to go to a new phone due to battery life.
  14. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

I want to know how people get 1-2 days of life with 'moderate' usage. Too bad 'moderate' is subjective to who's doing the describing. I haven't a seen a full day of life since I got my Droid on Christmas Eve.

Worse service areas definitely have an effect on battery life for sure. My service goes back and forth between 3G and 1x at work sometimes, and all my phones have always drained faster at work no doubt because of this.

Hopefully I will stop feeling the need to play with the phone 8 times an hour and I can see what my 'real' usage is.

Spare parts is a great app to show some more insight into your battery usage. It lets you see some battery status screens that the phone provides that aren't accessible using the regular menus in the settings panel.

Right now at about 4 hours since unplugging, the device has been running 28% of the time, my screen has been used 12% of the time, and BT has been on 100% of the time. I'm at 80% battery left. From the regularly accessible usage menu, the display is 30% of the total battery usage, the BT is 4%, and the media server is 18% (listened to pandora for about 40 minutes in the gym).

Would that usage be called light, moderate, or heavy? Depends on who you ask. I'm going to try not to touch the phone too much for the rest of the day so I can get a better grasp of my life on a "light day."
  15. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I get about 100 emails a day, stream pandora 3-4 hours, make a couple of calls, do some web surfing and what not. After 24 hours I'm at about 30%.

I charge ever night, have a car charger when I use GPS and keep a spare USB cable with me in my laptop bag.
  16. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Moderate for me means about an hour of listening to music, and checking / sending email every few minutes, a phone call or three, half a dozen SMS, and playing with the screen almost constantly.
  17. punkid

punkid Member

I average about 16-20hrs with some music, web surfing, texting, and a few phone calls. For reasons unknown to me my last charge lasted 2days 6hrs with almost identical usage. the battery life on this device makes no sense.
  18. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

Short answer: 1 charge per day, take it off the charger and I'm usually around 50% when it's time to turn in. The only thing I manually change is screen brightness and bluetooth. Everything else is turned on (with the wifi sleep policy to never).

I get in excess of 18 hrs, "usually".

I had to make a few phone calls this morning straight from the charger. Had to look up tech support numbers via the phone, etc. Conference with a few ppl and get work started due to a service failure, that of course showed up immediately on my phone via the email push (love k-9 mail). I was working on the problem and getting it resolved before the customer was even open.

After that I checked a few news stories, and replied to two emails, (status updates on the outage).

So 20 minutes of phone calls, with some internet usage, emails.. and later the gtalk notification message that service had been restored..... 5 hours off the charger, and my battery is still reading 90%.

Yesterday I barely used the phone at all... except for some remotedroid action watching hulu and netflix on my laptop. Some minor internet (reading local news feeds...) I think it was 14 or 15 hours off the charger.. and when I popped it on... my battery was @ 80%. :)

Google measures usage as 10 min per hour. It should last all day + without needing to be charged.

The phone from a 100% charged condition should last 3-4 hours while streaming youtube HQ content. (max load on cpu, screen, and multiple radios).

Usage patterns are subjective, in that, what we describe as light, moderate and heavy, may not equate to your expectations of what those terms should mean.

crankerchick mentioned "spare parts", and I'll +1 this. Its an invaluable tool for determining what, or if applications are causing bad things to happen WRT your battery. Specifically the "Partial wake usage" <<--- this is what is waking the phone up from deep sleep. If there is anything above "Android System" in the list that you don't expect, kill or uninstall that application and see if that greatly increases your battery life.

Signal quality also plays a major roll in standby time. Crappy signal means more power to transmit = less battery life.

But if the phone isn't making it a full day without needing to be charged.... then something is wrong. And the worst thing you can do.. is "I'll try to live with it..." ... get something that works, that you won't resent paying for :)
  19. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

While at work, I barely use it so it's holding 100% charge from 7AM to about 6PM; once out of work, I'm on it, but it's usually down to about 70-80% around 8-9PM. At that point, I know I want to charge it, so I hammer it with use until it's down to about 40% by midnight. Then it's on the charger for another day.
  20. N2o

N2o Active Member

I take mine off the charger at 730am, go to work for about 9ish hours and during that time, send around 10-50 text/mms a day, email, gchat, and the usual bathroom break + games. When I get home around 6, I'm usually less than 50%. If I have significant phone call increases, I'm dead or blinking red by 10pm. Not very impressed. No GPS, No WIFI, because if I use those I'm out of juice before I get home.
  21. tomato88

tomato88 Well-Known Member

Currently 50% charge after 20h 18m.
    Wifi off, Bluetooth off, GPS on, Sync off, Screen brightness on auto. And never used task manager/killer.

Surfed web in total of app. two hours and installed/uninstalled a couple of apps. Also made a few calls and chatted on Google Talk.

So far the battery seems to be doing much better than my sister's Droid Eris. Plus, task killer really does nothing on battery life it seems.
  22. crankerchick

N2o, your's sounds about like mine. I wonder if I should swap out the phone.

In spare parts my partial wake usage has Android system first, although right now it is showing email first by a negligible margin.

I have just never seen 2 days worth of life and I don't see how I would get that except if I just didn't touch the phone to check email or anything. I see about 10% per hour discharge with use, and about 10% discharge per 2-3 hours when I leave it be.
  23. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I get 18-19 hours typically on a charge. I use Battery Left and it counts it down for me. It's possible I'd get more than that, but I'm usually on a charge at least once a day and when I'm sleeping so I haven't had to push it further than that.
  24. Wazoo

Wazoo Well-Known Member

1 day 15 hours since unplugged, at 30% :)
  25. crankerchick

ok that's it. i'm going to not charge this baby all day and see where i am in the morning