How long does your battery last?

Last Updated:

1. roastedpepper

roastedpepper Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My friend complains that his droid doesn't even last him 5 hours and all he does is text a lot. Is this a common issue?

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Means he either has a bad battery or a bad phone. I'm assuming he's had it for a while? If it's new, that's normal for a few days, but it should be lasting much longer than that. I get 12-15 hours with moderate to heavy use.

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

The biggest battery eater (imo) is the screen, if he is texting a lot and has his brightness high, that can do it.

4. roastedpepper

He's had it only a couple days. Okay I'll tell him to dim the screen then haha. It just made me worry cause I want to get a droid but I text all the time.

5. tbflx

tbflx Active Member

My biggest "OOF" moment was when I realized what was causing me to get 4-5 hours of battery: Meebo.

I used to keep it on 24/7 even when I wasn't actively usng it. Killed my battery. Now that I barely use it i'm back up to what Messenger said.

6. bigbill25

bigbill25 Well-Known Member

I have found that after you use a lot of apps, after a couple weeks of no restarts, the battery life will fall off a bit. I find that turning the phone off and back on fixes this.

--Bill

7. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Well-Known Member

Another important thing in battery consumption is weak cell signal. Weak signal will eat a battery.

Tell your friend to go to settings/About Phone/Battery Usage and see if there is anything weird there. The screen should be the highest. He may have something running that he isn't aware of.

Tell him to get Screebl from the market. It will detect when he is actaully using the phone, via orientation, and then he can set his screen dimming down to an aggressive 15 seconds. This will save power. Tell him to put the phone asleep every time he puts the phone down.

I have my phone overclocked to 1ghz and I get all day out of my battery. I take it off charge each morning at 6:30 - 7:00 and put it on charge at 10:30 - 11:00. I usually have 40-50% battery at the end of the day.

8. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Yep, keeping chat programs on, streaming music, basically anything "constant" will drain you but keeping the screen on a lot will too. For me though, I bought an extra battery to keep around just in case. So I never really worry about battery issues anymore. Though I think I would do that with any smartphone. The Droid for sure uses a lot of power, but it's par for the smartphone arena.

9. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Yeah, I second Geezer. He's got to look at the battery usage. the answer is right there for him. I'll bet he finds screen usage to be better than 70%.

10. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Tested today...after 12.5 hours off the charger and moderate use (almost constant use of media player/pandora but with light screen activation and only a few calls), I got down to about 40%.

If I'm using the browser, playing games, or doing anything that keeps the screen on for a long time, this drops. If you're in an area with poor signal, the power will also drop more quickly.

11. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

11-12 with moderate use, 9 in poor coverage.

12. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

I took the phone off charge 16 hours ago and my battery is at 60% charge.

I turn the display down to 5 or 8% (take it off auto bright), and turn off GPS. Wifi gets toggled on when I need it. Bluetooth turns on automatically (thanx to "BTCall" paid app) when I make or get a call.

I don't txt a lot, but I play with my phone all day.

My first day or two I got 5 or 6 hours out of it before it gave ma warnings...

Dan

13. JMF_Droid

JMF_Droid Well-Known Member

With a mixture of texting, browsing the web, a few app downloads & some standby time in my pocket, I can get anywhere from 26-38 hrs w/ medium use.

14. Negativism

Negativism Active Member

Some days i make it a full day ( 10 hours ) without going orange ( 15% ). Other days i don't. All with the same amount of use ( 10 minutes in calls / 25 texts / 6 hours music/ downloading podcasts / email / web surfing bout an hour or so total )

So i got me a usb charger and leave it on the desk @ work. No biggie

15. godsdragon

godsdragon VIP Member VIP Member

There is no "Battery usage" choice on my Moment droid... Is there another way to check the battery? Will Screebl really help upping battery life? Thanks

16. Geezer Squid

Since this is a Motorola Droid forum, I assumed you were talking about the Droid, not some other android phone.:)

17. godsdragon

Sorry my bad I did not realize this was a Motorola Thread.. I did a search on the forums for battery life and this is where I ended up...

I purchased Screebl. However the icon is not showing in my task bar and the video did not play smoothly it froze a few times... Any ideas or suggestions?
    Please understand I have a Droid Samsung Moment...maybe I should be posting elsewhere...:confused:

18. Geezer Squid

Check the developer's website. It may not work on your phone. I'm sorry for the confusion in recommending it. I really just assumed you had a Droid.

19. godsdragon

I figured it out... I enabled the application... lol
    duh... thanks

20. godsdragon

No problem... it is working now! Thanks! :)

21. Geezer Squid

Good, glad it's going to work. It's a great little program. good luck.

22. Larkitect

Larkitect Active Member

i have to say that my standby time has increased substantially since i started using a profile for it with setcpu. (250/125)

lower backlight and turning wifi/gps when not needed also help a lot with battery life for me when i want to use the phone for actual phone stuff (i.e. phone calls :D ).

23. godsdragon

got cha... I had them off already;)

24. Larkitect

Larkitect Active Member

i figured as much. :) i don't know how long you've had your phone but i'll also note that battery life will get better after a few weeks of normal use.

or at least mine did. it hit its stride mid-december and has only gotten better since rooting and using setcpu.

25. roastedpepper

so basically if i get a droid and lower the back light and turn off the gps i can get thru a 8 hour day with heavy use??