• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long does your phone take to recharge?

fegriffith

Nov 8, 2009
I've been observing that this Fascinate seems to take a long time to recharge. Is this just me? I'm talking a couple of hours (or more) to recharge when under 30%.

I'm coming from a Storm 2 and I could throw that thing on the desktop charger at 20% and it would be topped off to 100% in less than an hour.

Yeah no one should be re-charging via the usb it just doesnt work, slower than slow due to the 5v. Wall Charging from totally dead to 100% takes me between 2h15m and 2h30m. IME, its pretty normal for a 1500mah battery to take 2-3hrs to charge. In fact my LG voyager extended battery [also 1500mah] would take more like 3-4hrs. 2-3hrs does seems bad to me especially since Im sleeping when I charge it

Upvote 0
Just make sure you guys are charging via the wall versus merely the usb. It will take forever and a day on the usb since its 5v versus the 12v from the wall. Always use the wall charger

The wall charger still uses 5V to charge the phone, otherwise, you couldn't use a USB connector. USB only passes 5V to any device. The wall charger can supply more amps than a USB port on your computer. My Samsung wall charger says it can supply 700 mA. The battery is rated at 1,500 mAh so it will take around 2-2.5 hours to charge from completely dead. A computer USB port only provides 500 mA so it would take at least 3 hours to charge. These times assume you don't use the phone much while charging. If you use the phone while charging it will take longer to get to full. I have another charger that can provide 1,000 mA. I haven't timed how long it takes to recharge my phone, but it should be faster if the phone charging circuit will use the whole amperage.

Reactions: gonzo143 and saps
Upvote 0
The wall charger still uses 5V to charge the phone, otherwise, you couldn't use a USB connector. USB only passes 5V to any device. The wall charger can supply more amps than a USB port on your computer. My Samsung wall charger says it can supply 700 mA. The battery is rated at 1,500 mAh so it will take around 2-2.5 hours to charge from completely dead. A computer USB port only provides 500 mA so it would take at least 3 hours to charge. These times assume you don't use the phone much while charging. If you use the phone while charging it will take longer to get to full. I have another charger that can provide 1,000 mA. I haven't timed how long it takes to recharge my phone, but it should be faster if the phone charging circuit will use the whole amperage.
Great stuff!

Upvote 0
Still boggles my mind how my HTC Incredible could charge from dead via computer USB about 14 times faster than my Fascinate.

Unless its some fancy save-my-battery technology...in which case I guess I don't mind.
Yeah I find the SF charges slower than molasses via usb. Then again the Inc was always a rapid charger... to bad that battery didnt actually live longer. All in all I'll take the SF battery, slower charge but longer life than vice versa

Upvote 0
My understanding is the faster you charge a battery the more wear and tear it takes and shortens its overall life. At least that's what I've always heard. Anyone confirm?

Plus, If I'm asleep, I don't care if it takes 4 hours......

Cuda
Never heard that one. Most of us charge while sleeping so yeah 2 hours 3 hours whats the difference. Battery life is fairly is decent on this SF so not to much to worry about

Upvote 0
My understanding is the faster you charge a battery the more wear and tear it takes and shortens its overall life. At least that's what I've always heard. Anyone confirm?

Plus, If I'm asleep, I don't care if it takes 4 hours......

Cuda

I'm not sure if this confirms, but maybe this can shed some light: batteryuniversity

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.
So does this bring up the question... Is full discharging from 100=>5% bad?:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this confirms, but maybe this can shed some light: batteryuniversity

So does this bring up the question... Is full discharging from 100=>5% bad?:thinking:
I don't know if I'd say bad as much as unnecessary. At the end of the day I charge my phone whether its 12% or 49%. Now sure if you charge it daily in a year you will hit that 300-500 window and perhaps in a year if I still have the SF the battery charge performance might start to wane. But then again if partial charges are better than full charges we can likely get more than 300-500. I had my previous phone almost 2 years and right around the 18 month period I did notice it was not holding a charge as long. Not earth shaking but noticeable. Im not too worried about the battery to be honest. If I have 365 partial charges over the next year I doubt there will be a significant degradation of my battery. Not to mention in 11 months depending on whether I've got LTE coverage here, this baby is probably being replaced

Upvote 0
Hey everyone. I just bought this phone yesterday. I used the phone until the battery died. So, I currently have it plugged into the wall charger, but I have no clue whether it's charging or not. Right now it's been charging for about 2 and a half hours. But there is no light, or anything on the phone that tells me that it's charging. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Hey everyone. I just bought this phone yesterday. I used the phone until the battery died. So, I currently have it plugged into the wall charger, but I have no clue whether it's charging or not. Right now it's been charging for about 2 and a half hours. But there is no light, or anything on the phone that tells me that it's charging. Can anyone help?

That's weird. If the phone is off it should be showing you a charging screen. Try unplugging and plugging it back in or pull the battery and put it back in and try again.

Cuda

Upvote 0
Since it didnt did you re-power it up. I cant remember accurately but I think if you are stone dead, you need to turn it back on to keep some kind of display during charging. Maybe thats the better question, can you even turn it on or is it still dead; did it take any charge during those 2.5hours

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones