• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long should you charge a new phone?

Followup question--suppose you pop the battery in and attempt to turn it on right out of the box, could that break the phone forever?
In a word, no. They ship with a partial charge. Something in the neighborhood of 40-60% I think. From dead as a doornail you first charge will probably take you about 2.5 hours give or take. If you decide to charge to full right out the box probably an hour or so

Reactions: curmudge
Upvote 0
Thanks. I wanted to know if I broke the phone or if the phone came to me already broken.

I got it yesterday, put the battery in, and powered it up. I was in the middle of activating it when it died. I plugged it in to the charger for about an hour and it still wouldn't power on, so I took it to a Verizon store to see if they'd let me try out another charger to see if that was the problem. The guy there actually took my battery out and replaced it with the battery from his own Fascinate and the phone still would not turn on. Because I ordered mine from Target Mobile, I have to send the damn thing back in instead of receiving a replacement immediately. That is what I get for trying to save money.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I wanted to know if I broke the phone or if the phone came to me already broken.

I got it yesterday, put the battery in, and powered it up. I was in the middle of activating it when it died. I plugged it in to the charger for about an hour and it still wouldn't power on, so I took it to a Verizon store to see if they'd let me try out another charger to see if that was the problem. The guy there actually took my battery out and replaced it with the battery from his own Fascinate and the phone still would not turn on. Because I ordered mine from Target Mobile, I have to send the damn thing back in instead of receiving a replacement immediately. That is what I get for trying to save money.

Wow that sucks. DOA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones