how long to get gmail messages on phone?

Last Updated:

1. mattp

mattp Active Member This Topic's Starter

How long does it take for you to receive the messages into gmail on your droid? it seems to be taking about 3-4 mintues for me which isn't terrible, i just thought it'd be quicker, I guess. what are you guys getting?

Advertisement
  2. htowngtr

htowngtr Well-Known Member

Mine usually show up on the phone at the exact moment my gmail client on my computer has a new message. I'd say sometimes the phone is faster.

3. Nickles

Nickles Member

I second the Instant response. I both the gmail app and the gmail email account setup on the droid, and both recieve new emails almost instantaneously.

4. SimonSays

SimonSays Active Member

I generally get a notification on my droid a few seconds before the new email shows up in my browser (for gmail).

5. jrich

jrich Member

I did notice a bit of a lag the first few days I've had my Droid, but now it seems like new mail only arrive on my device when I go into my Email/GMail app.

6. chefboyardee

chefboyardee Well-Known Member

literally seconds. i sent a gmail from my computer, my droid is right in front of me, and before i could pick it up and turn the screen on i got a notification

7. chefboyardee

do you use a task killer program? if so set exceptions for your mail apps. you may be killing the services that check and update in the background.

8. mattp

so is there anyway to make it instantaneous like you guys are getting? this is kinda frustrating to wait for the push to happen.

9. chefboyardee

off the top of my head, not knowing your phone config, i can only guess at what might help - but am willing to try.

first, if you're using a task killer app, i'd reboot your phone, and not open the task killer for a while. see if that helps. maybe you were accidentally killing the sync stuff.

second, make sure you have auto sync on. home > soft menu key > settings > accounts & sync > make sure the first two are checked (background data and auto sync). i also went to my gmail account and made sure sync was on.

i thought i saw a "push" option in gmail somewhere at some point, but i can't find it now. maybe it was only in the email app, which i don't use right now. i'll keep an eye out for that, or you might want to search for it.

hope that helps!

10. mattp

thanks for the help. I tried those things... still a bit slow. I mean the messages do certainly come in due time so it is synching. It just isn't synching instantaneously like others' phones seem to.

11. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

My Droid tends to be faster than my Gmail client by around a minute.

12. mattp

when you guys say "gmail client" what do you mean? I access my gmail through the IE browser and go to www.gmail.com. If I have this open and send an email from another address (say my verizon.net address, for example) it shows up in my web broswer gmail instantly. My phone will not reflect the new message for some time (varies from about 30 seconds to about 5 mins but usually about 2-3 minutes).

13. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

I use a Firefox extension called Gmail Notifier and have it set to check every 2 minutes. Every time I've been on my computer and had my phone in front of me, the mail notifier on my phone pops up before the one on my computer. I've also had Gmail open in a FF tab, and watched my phone get new mail but Gmail on my computer not refresh within a minute to show me the message.

14. eDave

eDave New Member

I am also experiencing significant delays receiving gmail notifications on my Droid. Usually takes 3-4 minutes. To the contrary SMS, Google Voice and GTalk notifications come through instantly.

Thanks.